Boiler service or a Performance check | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler service or a Performance check in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lambchop

Working for a firm recently and one of their guys got in a bit of a hufty with moi...

Went to custard s house for a Boiler service (going in blind no heads up on make and model)
In a really awkward place (too long winded to explain). No M.I's always like to have them, to sign off and follow. So it was a worc Bosch 18Ri. He wanted me to do a full service, combustion chamber etc.. said I had no seals to replace exsisting plus dont like working up ladders when doing a service (told you awkward place, I know it should be accessible). He said dont you know how to do it? misses point have to replace seals on this app (obviously he hasn't been) End of conversation,

Said I will do performance check, looking at data badge and all readings correct using FGA. Any comments apprecated

What comments are you after mate? You were right he was wrong. But the customer hasn't got what they paid for regardless.

Only sub contracted to a couple of companies that do gas. Wanted to know experiences of other subbies (not the best title i put up), been told BG stick the probe in the flue from the outside if they cant get access to property and if its within the magic number, then its classed as a service. Guys supposedly doing 8 services in a working day?

If it's not broken don't fix it, no point charging customer for combustion seals if its not required. That said a service should include cleaning condensate trap and cleaning any filters if fitted checking for leaks and weaps (AAV's being a good example) Just a combustion check is taking the mick if you ask me, you've got to make the customer feel like they've got their moneys worth even if it doesn't feel like you've done much.

You can bet that anything that happens to the boiler within a month of you doing it will mean the customers on the phone asking why you didn't pick it up when it was serviced. I had one about a year ago asking why I didn't tell her the PCB was on the way out?

thats nothing i done landlords other day for a H/A and when i removed cover etc i found a lottery roll over ticket from 2001 which leads to did that cover ever actually come off for the last 11 years??

If it ends up doing a performance check, I will do as much as possible within the alloted time. By no means do I dash in for ten mins glug my coffee and out before a blink of an eye. Condensate trap alwals clean out make custard aware of any leaks that have calcified, even gice it a bit of a clean inside and out, give as much thought and time as possible. I would be pee'd off if someone just done a service in ten mins and try and keep a reputation for the sake of the industry but have to strike a balance between keeping a job and food on the table. I have no idea whart boss man charges but always do a quick report to say exactly what Ive done, if custard dont ask, i dont say unless there is serious issue.

The firm is of so far and wouldnt want to work for one that expects you to do 8 - 10 services a day, any subbies out there who are expected to do this?

What 8-10 services a day?
I have worked for companies who appeared to want far more. The thing is, they never actually said how many they wanted just moaned if you did not do what they thought was enough. Once spoke to a CORGI inspector mate who said they would look with suspicion on guys who did more than 10 services a day.

The old GB had a company invent the fga as they were losing millions on gas services having so many call backs. Probably why some only do a performance check on the outlet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lambchop

if you are in doubt about whats needed and the manufactures instructions are not available you can phone the manufactures tech helpline for guidence. Its sometimes the best thing to do as it can save you time and money. Many modern boilers do not require a strip down on each service and basic checks and a fga measurement is whats required by the manufacture.

Went to house the other day. CO alarm blaring. Found Baxi CH BBU and fire sooted up so badly that main burner was flaring out from the front cover i.e totally blocked flueways. Customer had papers to say on contract to BG and they had only serviced it last week.

Went to house the other day. CO alarm blaring. Found Baxi CH BBU and fire sooted up so badly that main burner was flaring out from the front cover i.e totally blocked flueways. Customer had papers to say on contract to BG and they had only serviced it last week.

Cough... Ridor...Cough

I tend to leave BG to carry out their own investigations.
I wouldnt want to provoke a situation in which GSRs start shafting eachother !

I strongly suspect that an error had been made in re-assembling the BBU parts after the service. How far wrong can you go with such a basic appliance !

Last edited:
I would be surprised if BG had even disassembled the fire on their "service" the issue with BG is they would have no hesitation in reporting you if the roles were reversed. Don't get me wrong reporting it will have no effect, but I always hope it may encourage BG to start to do a proper job!

If your customer didn't have a CO alarm the ending to this story could have been very different to us debating it here

I tend to leave BG to carry out their own investigations.
I wouldnt want to provoke a situation in which GSRs start shafting eachother !

I strongly suspect that an error had been made in re-assembling the BBU parts after the service. How far wrong can you go with such a basic appliance !

Its not about "shafting eachother", its about ensuring people do their job properly. I would like to know if I had done something wrong which was dangerous as it would give me a well needed kick up the bum.

Hmm!

Yes its safety not pride. Unfortunately I once went to a site servicing about fifty or more BBU's I virtually condemned the lot on the report and started to strip and clean them as part of an in depth service. The thing is, I later found out the company I was working for had been servicing the same BBU's for years. I was not popular at all after that. But what do you do? Personally I felt the clients safety was the most important. One of the reasosn I would take GasSafe registration off companies and give it to individual fitters. At least then you may get some clout about the number and standard that can be done in a day.

Hmm!

Yes its safety not pride. Unfortunately I once went to a site servicing about fifty or more BBU's I virtually condemned the lot on the report and started to strip and clean them as part of an in depth service. The thing is, I later found out the company I was working for had been servicing the same BBU's for years. I was not popular at all after that. But what do you do? Personally I felt the clients safety was the most important. One of the reasosn I would take GasSafe registration off companies and give it to individual fitters. At least then you may get some clout about the number and standard that can be done in a day.

i did the same sort of thing when i pulled a faulty flue on an annual service years ago. Turned out it was installed by the same company i was working for. The engineers in question did not speak to me for a long time after. :(

I once condemmed 30 out of 38 boiler on one site, as the spillage stats had been disconnected and linked out, got read the riot act when I told the boss, who promptly got in his car and turned them all back on, aparently the housing association werre aware but it was going to be 'too expensive to replace'.

Just got back from holiday. Thanks for your comments. I did phone the tech helpline and they were bang on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
Found someone to replace pcb coming tomorrow...
Replies
Views
M
Depending on the age of the boiler but a...
Replies
Views
It doesn’t sound like you’ve had the best...
Replies
Views
Doesn't sound like your guy is also too...
Replies
Views
Back