boiler service | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler service in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

quality

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Morning guys. I just followed a van down the road this morning with a big sticker on the back doors advertising boiler services for £30.
I could not believe it , how can anyone expect to earn a decent living charging that

Morning guys. I just followed a van down the road this morning with a big sticker on the back doors advertising boiler services for £30.
I could not believe it , how can anyone expect to earn a decent living charging that

just take do word decent out of your sentence !
FGA out the van in the flue certificate and that is all that they going to get

I agree but to even get in the van and drive where ever, then get ya FGA out then drive home all for 30 quid.
Times are hard but but when you consider what it costs us to be registered and insured etc it makes my p*** boil
rant over

There always be people wanting the cheapest job & always people willing to do what looks like the cheapest job.
If you do a proper job & deal with your customers in a calm & reliable professional manner, your customers will keep coming back to you, regardless!
Remmember to contact them for their ANNUAL service visits.
The so called GS companies that try to short cut services are always in a rush & customers spot this.
There was a very large company that change their service visit to an annual safety inspection quite a few years ago & lost alot of customers to us independants.
So always be reliable, do a good job & charge the right price, for yourself as well as the customer.
You are working to live, not living to work!

They are using the service as a paid sales call, as saidjust stick fga in flue, boiler will still work if service not done correctlyprobably for the foreseeable future so they are covered most of the time, if itbreaks down ,the customer will call them back and they can charge for repair,likewise when in property, they can look around and try to expand the work scope,using exaggerated claims, bet they are not to keen if you rang up for a serviceand you were in rented accommodation
Likewise I saw a gas plumber advertising cp12's for £40,they are going for theextra work, again using exaggerated claims, had one who would not issue areport(making out a certificate not just a report that it is) as boiler not HEand l/l needed new boiler

imho

seen one ad in paper servicing from £25 !! boiler swaps supply and fit from £995 !!

its only going to get worse ,i know a gsr guy near me runs round calling me every name under the sun because i had a customer asked me to check the boiler again ,he had left not one but 2 faults with the boiler one id 1 ar . i tried to talk to him but all i got was abuse and its ncs .

we should be sticking together more, instead of acting like this

if i dont know i ask

nothing other than bg advertising only £16.95 a month with free anuall service.
its called a flash price.

There loads of it going on around here as well , boilers installed from £1000 ,boilers serviced for £40 etc etc . Alot of them around here tho cant plumb and are shocking clueless idiots ,problem being tho a customer said to me a pipes a pipe doesnt mean nothing to me .So likes of thes e small business get away with it

I charge £60 for an oil boiler service. There is a guy here who charges £50 but then charges £10 for a nozzle, £15 for a flexi line etc on top of that and is done in 1/2 an hour. Once customer who had had him before commented that their boiler kept tripping out and I found that the main filter and pump filters were clogged and the guy had never cleaned them out.

We charge £65 + VAT for oil plus parts and 99% of the ones we do are repeat business because we contact them after 11 months.
All you guys that aren't that busy need to be setting up systems to self generate this bread and butter stuff if you already haven't. We automatically add every gas appliance and invented cylinder we install.
Do well to service an oil boiler in an hour let alone 30 mins!!!!

We charge £65 + VAT for oil plus parts and 99% of the ones we do are repeat business because we contact them after 11 months.
All you guys that aren't that busy need to be setting up systems to self generate this bread and butter stuff if you already haven't. We automatically add every gas appliance and invented cylinder we install.
Do well to service an oil boiler in an hour let alone 30 mins!!!!

what type of system do you recommend ?

Can either use something like the CommuSoft programmes or an excel spreadsheet will do and can be updated very easily. Just do a standard letter and copy and paste customer details over. We get loads like that.

if you have a good smartphone you can use the calendar function on it to remind you. although no good if it breaks. i think microsft out has a function. i personally just check the carbons copies on my servicing sheets once and do the letters from that time consumiong though so going to look into something else.

£30 or £40 for a service is fine if you can get enough of them and/or plan them properly, ie if a punter wants a service and is flexible you can arrange it for a day that you have another job in the area or when you are going to do a quote near by, i agree £50 is better than 30 or 40 but with planning and volume you could make a lot of money for straight forward work

there is a guy round our way who is doing cp12's for £20 to joe public and £15 for landlords and builders. i spoke to one of his landlords who asked us for a quote for cp12 and i quoted minimum of £40 if there is plenty more to come but otherwise if its a one off then £50. He said the other guy (he wouldnt tell me who he was) was only in the houses for 20 mins.

well he's either very very good or extremely poor at his job and doesn't know what he's doing.

Back to the OP I would charge £50 to even start the van up to turn up on any job, plus what it takes to do it.
I have just got home after working in a property that is soon to be the home of a young family and I can garantee I have not been working for £20 per 20 mins as per previous posts.
Work is quite short for some folk but I will not drop my charges for anyone and to be fair I am busy. being a 7 day week I have got work every day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, approx. 2-3 hours.
Replies
Views
Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
M
Isolate and drain boiler. Pump up expansion...
Replies
Views
I'm going to go tomorrow to switch it off for...
Replies
Views
Back