Boiler Service | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Service in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DIYnovice

I have an annual contract through Corgi and have just had a first service?

Took the front cover off not else dismantled or checked.

Placed a probe in flue, I assume to check fume rating, nothing else.

On site approx 15 minutes.

IS THIS CORRECT?

Regards

That is a annual check rather than a service. British Gas often do the same with their annual checks. Not to be mistaken for a full service.

If you have a look at the boiler manufacturer's installation instructions, it may tell you what is required for an annual service.

Last edited by a moderator:
They've just done a safety check, nothing wrong with what has been done, it's just not a service. If you look at ur T & C's then I bet it doesn't say service, it will just sy safety check or safety visit, or something along those lines

Most of the service contracts with the large companies are just a big con. The general advice is to save your money in a bank account and pay for a competant local person/company to service or repair your boiler when it does go wrong.

Most of the service contracts with the large companies are just a big con. The general advice is to save your money in a bank account and pay for a competant local person/company to service or repair your boiler when it does go wrong.

If they say it's only a safety check ten its not a con really, I hear what your saying though, for a lot of people it's peace of mind. And it's a lot easier for people to just pay twenty quid a month and know that the problem will get sorted. If I had the financial backing and man power I'd offer service contracts all day long.

If they say it's only a safety check ten its not a con really, I hear what your saying though, for a lot of people it's peace of mind.

I didn't really mean the safety check but rather the whole package is a con. Consumer advice organisations e.g. MoneySavingExpert state that it is better to save your money in a bank account.

I know for many it's peace of mind but from personal experience, it's not what you always expect when you sign-up to these contracts.

many modern boilers dont require much more than a FGA reading, Gas rate and some visual checks as an annual service (following MI of course). The difference between a service and safety check is not as straight forward as it used to be.

Would you not think a tightness test would be carried out in a "safety check"?

I can't see how an engineer can deem an installation "safe" purely from flue analysis? Sorry just how I do things.... :-/

The tightness test question has been asked time and time again in the gas safe forum. Most engineers will do one as standard, it depends on what your being asked to do by your customer.

A gas rate and flue analysis will tell you if the boiler is functioning correctly. There was an article in the gas safe mag last year stating a TT isnt manditory for a landlords gas safety, I always do one but i like to sleep at night :snore:

Thank you for all the response. Will sit down over a pint and look at manual/service book supplied then I'll consider what I want either stay with or go local. Cheers all..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I'm going to go tomorrow to switch it off for...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Have you passed this information onto the...
Replies
Views
It’s a British standard not sure if the number
Replies
Views
Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
Back