Boiler sizing query | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler sizing query in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Morning chaps

doing a house renovation and customer lives abroad so is dealing with everything long distance. The property in question is a decent sized three bed semi with an almost completely open plan downstairs.

Definitely needs a new new boiler as existing is a 15 year old ariston and is not healthy.

There is an existing 150l unvented which will be staying as its a relatively new one.

Customer has asked that boiler be replaced soon as, as house is freezing at the moment and he is worrying about potential frost damage. He's one of these that likes each room to be quirky and different so he is looking to pick out his new radiators upon his return to the UK. I've sized the rooms etc but I think I'm going to end up with a load of oversized radiators because he likes the look of them.

This being the case I'm struggling to size a boiler. There will be 11 decent sized radiators and the cylinder. So I was thinking around the 24kw mark to take into account any potentially larger rads. Would you agree or would you go bigger? Cost is no object as owner is minted. Just wants it done so that the house is toasty.

Would appreciate your thoughts

Matt

Should've said was looking at a system boiler

Whole house boiler sizing online. Just put in the details and it will work it out. Or the old fashioned way with the sheet you are given when you done your part L.

Yeah sizing wise I've done that however I know the owner is gonna get some posh oversized radiators. So I don't want to end up with a boiler not powerful enough to warm all of them sufficiently. I'm kind of in a catch 22 need to do boiler asap but am reluctant until I know the size of these rads I'm going to be asked to fit.

Would you wait??

It won't matter about the over sized radiators, it's the room your heating. Do the calculations as you normally would do.

Either wait or give the guy your heat loss per room and tell him he needs to stick to them? If he goes mad with over sizing then that's his problem! He will soon moan if you fit in 2 - 30kw boilers on a LLH in his kitchen just to be sure there's enough.

But out without looking I would think a 24kw boiler would be fine.

That was my general thinking. It's a small unvented so a lot of its generally going to be the rads.
Cheers

That's true chalked sorry hadn't thought of it like that. You're right

Put in another Ariston you can down rate them as low has 5Kw so you could put in a 30Kw that would allow for any future expansion to house then down rate it to required output

Put in another Ariston you can down rate them as low has 5Kw so you could put in a 30Kw that would allow for any future expansion to house then down rate it to required output

In all my years I never thought I'd see anyone recommend re fitting an ariston surely the bloke has been punished enough once already

26kw Vogue system ;).
An Ariston is another boiler I've fitted.... is there no end to my shame :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ive got a new replacement boiler to install...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Back