Boiler sizing | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler sizing in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frankom

Hi All,

Apologies as firstly I'm no heating engineer but I have a basic question regarding boiler sizing in kW terms.

I have a heating demand (from an Energy Performance Certificate) of 36,000 (heating) and 3,000 (hot water).

What is the calculation I apply to correctly size the boiler in kW terms?

Many thanks in advance

Welcome.

Your engineer will work this out for you based on your setup.

Hi thanks for your response. I understand that the engineer can work it out and the calculation is exactly what I am after.

Many thanks,

Hi All,

Apologies as firstly I'm no heating engineer but I have a basic question regarding boiler sizing in kW terms.

I have a heating demand (from an Energy Performance Certificate) of 36,000 (heating) and 3,000 (hot water).

What is the calculation I apply to correctly size the boiler in kW terms?

Many thanks in advance

If these figures are btu's then you divide by 3412 to get KW, but to be honest it will be beneficial to discuss your requirements with whoever is going to do the job

Boiler sizing, is determined from the whole house heat loss calculation, under part L building regulations. In summary you calculate the heat loss from the building constructions to establish what size boiler you require.

Nonsense! It's based on which boiler is on offer? Didn't ray have a 49kw LPG going cheap..... That's perfect size.

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses, caravans aside :28: does anyone have the calculation?

The sums stated are kWh usage so i need to convert 39,000 kWh usage to establish the correct boiler size. Do I divide this sum by the estimated hours per day usage?

I just want an idea as Im moving into this house and want an indication of size to get price comparisons and choose the right boiler technology Biomass/Oil/heat pump

Please help........................

Does the EPC say the following:

Space Heating (kWh per year) =36000;
Water Heating (kWh per year) = 3000?

If so that is just an estimate of how much fuel you will consume in a year; it has nothing to do with the size boiler you need.

The actual boiler size will depend on the calculated heat loss and how you heat the hot water - combi boiler (instant HW) or HW cylinder.

You can find out the size boiler needed if you have a HW cylinder by using Whole House Boiler Size Calculator.

A combi boiler will have a higher output, which depends on the incoming cold water flow rate.

Dont even bother to go by an EPC reading, the muppets who do these tickets often dont know their arse from their elbow. Reason I say this, on one occassion the guy doing an epc on a flat I manage asked what sort of heating warmed the place, when his backside was sat on a electric night storage heater, he wondered where the pipes where????? Another one doing an EPC on my own place when I put it up for sale had never seen an AGA before and wondered where the control knobs were for the hot plates !! :). Your engineer will work it out for you, get him to explain how he gets the figures if you dont trust him.

Trouble with EPC is not all surveyors are fully experienced for the task in hand. But to make things worse the system for it is not up to date with technology either. So lets not give these surveyor's to much of a hard time. One example is, air source and ground source heat pumps. The system In place is still caching up, as these weren't even listed

neither are AGAs or other range cookers, underfloor insulation or insulation in roof spaces they cant see or get to. Basically, EPCs are a farce, but thats government for you, only getting it half right, never perfect!

Also the finer detail. Minimum 250mm rockwool in the loft? No I have vaulted ceiling with 150mm celotex board as insulation. Which is more efficient?

Thanks all. I really appreciate your advice, i'll measure the house and use the link provided for the sizing.

:smoking:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ive got a new replacement boiler to install...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
I don't actually know but I'd have thought you...
Replies
Views
Try heatengineer.com. Alternatively there are...
Replies
Views
I do have the mr combi app but it’s a ball...
Replies
Views
Back