Boiler sizing | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler sizing in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dave1

Hi all, need a bit a help boiler sizing. Existing system has 17 rads, 170L unvented cylinder. Detached house, loft conversion and built around 1995, cavity wall insulation and loft insulated.

I've not had to do boiler sizing before so if you could help point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

I've had a look online at certain websites to try and do the calculations but it's comes out too low in my opinion.

I will be putting a system boiler in to replace existing.

Cheers.

how long is the piece of string?

room sizes etc.

very crude estimate:-
assuming each rad averages at about 1 kw, add another 3 for the cylinder comes to 20.

what size boiler is being taken out, how efficient?

Im sure theres even a boiler sizing app for this , app for everything lol

how long is the piece of string?

room sizes etc.

very crude estimate:-
assuming each rad averages at about 1 kw, add another 3 for the cylinder comes to 20.

what size boiler is being taken out, how efficient?
All existing rads are staying, just need to replace the system boiler. I've taken all the measurements of all rads. So if I find the approx kw for each plus for the cylinder?

if your putting a system boiler in just go for a 24kw it will easily cover that and a bit more if they ever have a extension. I always tend to oversize a little if I can.

Just as a guess depending on size of rads , 26kw or if real big rads then 30kw with low modulation ,

All existing rads are staying, just need to replace the system boiler. I've taken all the measurements of all rads. So if I find the approx kw for each plus for the cylinder?
You can't trust radiator sizes to calculate heat loss.

You can either use the whole house method.
Or, measure each room and use any of the online calculators. Or, a mears calculator.
Or even easier, take your measurements, including wall and floor types, patio doors etc and take them to your local plumbers merchant. They will do it for you.

Depending on system volume you may need to consider a supplementary expansion vessel

I'd be surprised if it's over 15kw. Do it properly, don't over size.

Some big variants in answers, I appreciate all the answers. I'd like to know how to work it out accurately. I'll look into the whole house method, and mears calculator. It's something I'm keen to learn, and learn how to do it properly.

I don't think MCS do a calculator anymore. You can use any room by room calculator that conforms to BS EN 12831.

Try Stelrad stars to begin with.

Anything over 24kw will be an over kill. 24kw is in my opinion OTT but should more than cover it.

I get the whole sizing each room for size of each rad, but the rads that are in place (sized correctly or not will be staying) that's why I was thinking of finding the approx kw rating for each of these then adding them all up plus h/w.

I was pretty sure a 24kw would be fine, but I want to know how to work it out so I can size future jobs correctly.

Ok, try this
[DLMURL]http://www.lomaxtraining.co.uk/media/guides/energy%20efficiency/whole_house_boiler_sizing_method_for_houses_and_flats.pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, try this
[DLMURL]http://www.lomaxtraining.co.uk/media/guides/energy%20efficiency/whole_house_boiler_sizing_method_for_houses_and_flats.pdf[/DLMURL]
OK just used that, with the info I have its come out at about 13kw. Still sounds too low for 17 rads and a large cylinder. ha ha [emoji85]

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me it won't be.

90% of boilers are oversized because nobody does the calculations.

You could have 100 radiators but if the building only requires a certain amount of heat it makes no odds.

Always size the boiler on required heat loss not radiator output.

OK just used that, with the info I have its come out at about 13kw. Still sounds too low for 17 rads and a large cylinder. ha ha [emoji85]

So go for a 15kw boiler. For a worst case scenario, you could go for an 18kw. But as Nostrum has pointed out, it would be OTT

OK cool, obviously putting on a massively oversized boiler is going to be in efficient so that's why I'm keen to do this right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ive got a new replacement boiler to install...
Replies
Views
There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
Yes your oil guy needs to change the flue. No...
Replies
Views
Again, without an idea of system volume we're...
Replies
Views
Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
Back