Boiler starting problems, I'm at the end of my tether! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler starting problems, I'm at the end of my tether! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jockster

[h=2]Ideal Standard SE18 starting problem[/h]
Hi,

I have an Ideal Standard SE18 boiler. For the past 3 years or so I've been having problems with the boiler starting. 50% of the time it is OK but for another 50% the boiler will not start up. I can hear the ignitor sparking(although cant see the spark) and I do think that a little bit of gas is getting through as I can smell it but it won't fire up.

I have tried all sorts to get it going such as resetting the timers, switching the whole system off then starting again and I have had a plumber out who has changed the motherboard(PCB?) and I think also changed the Gas release valve and possibly the solenoid. All this has not solved the problem.
I can get it going eventually when the cover is off but obviously this is not the solution(I don't really do anything its just seems to start better). It's been working fine over the summer although I've only had the water on. Now that it has got slightly colder I've now had the heating on and it seems the problem has come back. The thing is I have tried starting it with just the heating on and the problem is intermittant but its also the same with just having the water on too.

I hope someone knows what the problem is as I don't want to pay for Ideal to send out an engineer as the starting rate is £250 for a problem they probably know about. I did ring Ideal asking if they had a known problem but they couldn't even say yes or no as I wasn't Gas Safe registered.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Paul​

Call 0800 111999. And report your gas leak!!

You shouldn't be able to smell gas

Then call a local gas safe registered engineer out

I don't think I have a leak, otherwise I would smell loads of gas all the time. And surely a very small amount of gas is needed to get the pilot lit before the burner starts up? As I am a novice at these things I have maybe got my wires crossed a little. At present if the boiler is off no gas can be smelt.

What situation do you have when you smell gas. Cover on or off?

It was when I had the cover off, I haven't noticed the smell with the cover on. Sorry, I should have added more detail and it doesn't help when I know nothing about boilers. thanks for at least replying to my thread though as I just can't seem to get to the bottom of this problem and the internet is no use as it seems like i'm the only person with this problem!

can you even see a spark ?, if you can smell gas coming through and hear it clicking but no spark, then isnt it obvious what the problem is ?

Treat yourself to a visit from a gas safe engineer and all your worries should be solved.

I did try the Gas safe engineer route but after spending a load of money on parts and labour without the problem being fixed it's a little hard to see my hard earned money going down the drain again on another engineer who doesn't solve the problem.

I'm happy to get an engineer in again but want some pointers on what the problem could be, its the reason I've come on here as I know there are probably a number of Gas safe engineers who may have seen this problem before and could point me in the right direction which I can pass on to the engineer

I did try the Gas safe engineer route but after spending a load of money on parts and labour without the problem being fixed it's a little hard to see my hard earned money going down the drain again on another engineer who doesn't solve the problem.

I'm happy to get an engineer in again but want some pointers on what the problem could be, its the reason I've come on here as I know there are probably a number of Gas safe engineers who may have seen this problem before and could point me in the right direction which I can pass on to the engineer

No can do

Not going to help someone who has too much confidence with boilers that may endanger life

Ask someone for a quote to fix

Anything more than 400 I would be looking at replacing rather than fixing

Good luck!

Post your location, a local breakdown engineer from here might be available in your area. If he struggles or has any questions he can ask us ;)

That way you know your safe and your getting the opinion of more than one engineer.

why dont you get whoever you paid to not fix your boiler, back out to have another look ?

unless he wont answer his phone ?

if its clicking then its got to the point were its asking for gas,so like everyone is saying call someone out but explain to them youve already paid and you carnt pay again unless its fixed anyone worth his salt will help you if there just after quick money they wont agree no one will work for nowt but someone who no,s what hes,s doing will fix it

It was when I had the cover off, I haven't noticed the smell with the cover on. Sorry, I should have added more detail and it doesn't help when I know nothing about boilers. thanks for at least replying to my thread though as I just can't seem to get to the bottom of this problem and the internet is no use as it seems like i'm the only person with this problem!

mate, if you're not Gas safe don't take the cover off. You need a new ignition electrode and pilot kit... too big a job for you to do safely. Had exactly same prob on an SE15 recently, although sparking, it was in the wrong place so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Is your boiler the 'Ideal Logic Heat 12' (i.e...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I have Worcester combi boiler which has...
Replies
Views
Andy Jackson
A
Could be right above the boiler pipework or...
Replies
Views
It's a sealed system so if its leaking from...
Replies
Views
I’m guessing the installer didn’t have a...
Replies
Views
Back