Boiler/System ID please people | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler/System ID please people in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

fubar1000

Gas Engineer
Had a call-out today, boiler casing getting very hot.

Is was shocked what I found (pics to follow)

I could not see a 3 port, any stickers or ID on the boiler & 4 pipes running from 30 year old boiler.

Thanks peeps

Attachments

• image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 105
  • image (5).jpg
    image (5).jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 104
  • image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image (6).jpg
    image (6).jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image (7).jpg
    image (7).jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 120
Looks like an old itt gas valve from an old glow worm space saver

4 pipes probs gravity flow & return, pumped heating flow & return!

Unless its flow & return with the vent & cf direct into boiler also!

As to the Identifying there should be a data badge on it inside! Did you take the case off even?

Just cap it off, with the marks up the wall it will be pretty sooted up on the hex

Looks like an old itt gas valve from an old glow worm space saver

Correct, ITT McLaren gas valve 24v the tranny is behind the boiler stat..... 4 bagger so gravity hot water pumped heating, Jesus and old myson unit 2 pump, well old!

If you rip out the boiler keep they valve, I've seen them on eBay for over 100 quid... Obsolete for a long time!

Tho remember its illegal to fit a second hand gas fitting

As to the Identifying there should be a data badge on it inside! Did you take the case off even?

Just cap it off, with the marks up the wall it will be pretty sooted up on the hex

A quick look through the sight glass would tell you if the marks were from old but you could easily find enough on it to shut it down and give them a price on a new heap (cough) brilliant money saving boiler.

Its a space saver. The id was on the hinged door that is missing.

I couldn't take the front cover off as a big chunk of the kitchen would have came out, so as soon as I see/felt the front cover & the soot up the outside wall I capped it off. The custard has said it was only be 12-24hr like that, but she did say she was felling ill when the boiler was on. In my eye's it was showing big signs of CO & not wanting to take any risks it got capped there & then....

I'v got to price up for a new combi ASAP, but every thing I need is at the wrong side of the house i.e gas meter, airing cupboard, outside wall. It's gonna be a pain in the harris type job.

So are we all agreed that it's 4 pipes gravity flow & return & pumped heating flow & return????

Thanks people, it makes things so much easier being part of this forum....

You have to trace the pipe work to be sure what the pipes are , relocate boiler to other side of the house where you said will be easy to install

I couldn't take the front cover off as a big chunk of the kitchen would have came out, so as soon as I see/felt the front cover & the soot up the outside wall I capped it off. The custard has said it was only be 12-24hr like that, but she did say she was felling ill when the boiler was on. In my eye's it was showing big signs of CO & not wanting to take any risks it got capped there & then....

I'v got to price up for a new combi ASAP, but every thing I need is at the wrong side of the house i.e gas meter, airing cupboard, outside wall. It's gonna be a pain in the harris type job.

So are we all agreed that it's 4 pipes gravity flow & return & pumped heating flow & return????

Thanks people, it makes things so much easier being part of this forum....

If you could not take off the front cover to inspect , because off the kitchen unit , I suspect it is sooted up , since the kitchen units where fitted ,,

Hope you classed i as ID . It's obviously burning badly/stroke dangerously with that amount of soot on the wall. That's why the casings so hot. Easiest option is normally for the combi to go in the airing cupboard on these type of jobs. Oh and it's deffinately gravity with four pipes and the pump there. Fitting a system boiler would be a lot more work due to having to install a divertor I the airing cupboard.

Hope you classed i as ID . It's obviously burning badly/stroke dangerously with that amount of soot on the wall. That's why the casings so hot. Easiest option is normally for the combi to go in the airing cupboard on these type of jobs. Oh and it's deffinately gravity with four pipes and the pump there. Fitting a system boiler would be a lot more work due to having to install a divertor I the airing cupboard.

Yes mate, I capped the boiler off there & then.

I'm going to price up for a new combi boiler today

Big thanks for all the advise & help lads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

All gas appliances have a data badge the...
Replies
Views
PH is 7.5. Chloride is 194. The last water...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
Back