Boiler thermostat question | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler thermostat question in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RodBell

Hello all,

About 4 years back Warmfront fitted a new back boiler in our home. It was a nightmare the massacred our floorboards (not false ones) and wired up central heating and hot water so if you wanted one the other turned off. There was also an incident which we discovered from the gentleman that turned up to clear the mess where a staff was sacked due to he would turn up and tell the people they did not need X, Y or Z but they would sign the form indicating it was fitted. He then used it in his own 'weekender'

Anyway

The part in question is our Immersion Heater.

It was new around 10 years back however Warmfront said we needed a new one and the guy said we didn't and fitted an external thermostat that is fastened on with a band around the middle.

The other night we noticed that the thermostat had dropped off the band and the warm was not totally hot. We placed it on near the top but we have noticed that the water still is not pipping hot after over a hour of the water being on.

We have now placed the Thermostat directly at the top, made sure the central heating doesn't come on around the same time as the water (incase this effects it) and I have tried by best to vaccum around the back boiler (however it seems to be enclosed).

I have notice when we turn the water on the (Baxi) boiler click on fine, green light, burns for about 40 seconds then the great light goes off. It does this every 5 mins or so.

Can any assist in

1) Is the top of the boiler the best place for the Thermostat.
2) Should the boiler heat for 40 seconds the drop of for a few minutes
3) Does the central heating being on effect our hot water

Thank you (and sorry for the long post)

first we need to clarify your syst
do you have an immersion fitted into the top of the copper cylinder
if i have read correctly the immersion is only for emergency use??
the thermosat should be placed on the copper cylinder in a cut out of the insulation at about a third of the way up max and should be set to approx 60deg c or slightly less
i think you really need to get a heating engineer to come and check the system out
putting the thermostat on the top of the cylinder will mean the water wont heat as the top is where the hot water is and so wont call for heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
if you can take out a good pan or two out...
Replies
Views
OK so I looked at the microswitch last night...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Back