Boiler / Thermostat wiring | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler / Thermostat wiring in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumberdan

I need some help on the wiring for a Drayton thermostat and wiring into a Procombi HE. The wiring from the Combi manual and thermostt is as shown in the attachments.

My concern is that the boiler diagram is showing 4 wires : NL 2 3, but then the thermostat diagram is only using 3, N L 2 OR 3. Is this thewrong type of thermostat for this boiler ? My electrical skills are no problem,my understanding of boilers is very limited.

Thank you for reading, any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• boiler.jpg
    boiler.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 32
  • thermostat.jpg
    thermostat.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 27
Have you got a timer/clock ??

Live and natural to room stat and connection 3 from the room stat to the 3 port on the choc block from the left

( if the boiler supports 240v controls)

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Do I leave those 2 wires already in choc block 3 shown in the boiler diagram ?

Thank you for your reply. Do I leave those 2 wires already in choc block 3 shown in the boiler diagram ?

Do you have an external clock ?

Yes. To explain a little further, I followed the boiler drawing, chock block 1 (from the left) originally went direct to the second terminal shown on the external time clock. I removed this and redirected it into 2 on the thermostat, and ran from 3 on the thermostat back to the 2nd terminal on the time clock. It blows the fuse when the contacts close in the thermostat.

Yes. To explain a little further, I followed the boiler drawing, chock block 1 (from the left) originally went direct to the second terminal shown on the external time clock. I removed this and redirected it into 2 on the thermostat, and ran from 3 on the thermostat back to the 2nd terminal on the time clock. It blows the fuse when the contacts close in the thermostat.

Right what time clock you got ?

My apologies, the timeclock is integral to the Procombi HE, not external.

You got a pic of your room stat please ?

Most combi's have two wires looped inside the facia for the room thermostat. I would use L & 2 on your stat. Some times just as simple to fit a Salus digital room thermostat.

Thank you both for the advice so far.
There definitely were no looped wires in the facia.
The combi manual asks for a "voltage free" thermostat, which I have. Not following the boiler manual schematic may cause me all sorts of headaches, although I appreciate the schematic seems not to work anyway, I have checked and triple checked my additional wiring so I know it is correct, although the schematics in the thermostat are only using 3 of the 4 terminals the combi manual schematic says t block.o use, is it possible I have totally the worng type of thermostat ?
I cannot identify the "call for heat" wire in the combi manual, and even if I could, I would have no idea what wire to leave out in the combi choc block

try moving the wire from terminal 2 on the boiler to no 3, as normally

1 is live from the boiler
2 is hot water pre heat
3 is heating call

Thank you for your replies. I have done some more investigating of the choc block and the thermostat and I am concerned about the fact that both contacts 2 and 3 of the thermostat output 240v when the thermostat switches.
When I check the choc block connectors 1 and 2 of the appliance drawing (from the left), they don't seem to be 240v when the heating is running.
I it possible the integral timeclock reduces the voltage? I am concerned about using the 240v output from the thermostat for far of blowing the electronic board in the boiler.
Is there a thermostat that just switches without outputing 24v0v ? Is tis the "voltage free" type of thermostat I need ?

Doesnt that boiler like volt free and that stat doesnt.
Check compatability

Thank you for your reply Phill. I think that could be the issue yes, the boiler needs "voltage free" type (from the manual), but I cannot determine if the stat is or isn't voltage free. That's basically the reason for my posting, I can't find any "recommended" stats for this boiler.

I appreciate the reply phill, and without asking for recommendations, can you advise at leas t a few commercial basic thermostats that can be used.

As a side note, is the Drayton I advised in an earlier post no good ?

Drayton rts4 would do
And Basically any 2 wire battery operated stat.

As I say im not familiar with that stat but it doesn't look volt free.
Call plumcentre or other merchants as they will have something on the shelf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again for the helpful advice, I have also been in contact with Vokera technical, and their reply was :

"The boiler switches on a 240v Neutral so you will have to use a volt free device, which would normally only be two wires."

So when using the " 2 or 3 wire" terminology, is this 2 or 3 including the 2 needed for the 240v operating supply ?

Any idea of the "call for heat" terminal on the choc block of the boiler diagram ?

Thanks again for the helpful advice, I have also been in contact with Vokera technical, and their reply was :

"The boiler switches on a 240v Neutral so you will have to use a volt free device, which would normally only be two wires."

So when using the " 2 or 3 wire" terminology, is this 2 or 3 including the 2 needed for the 240v operating supply ?

Any idea of the "call for heat" terminal on the choc block of the boiler diagram ?

depends as some take the live from the supply and just send voltage back to appliance

l and n and then separate to supply side common and out

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for the input on this, much...
Replies
Views
Great summary and well done for getting it...
Replies
Views
Just happened to be rummaging around on the...
Replies
Views
Sounds like a link issue possibly between the...
Replies
Views
Back