Boiler Vertical Flue - Tolerance In Angle?? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Vertical Flue - Tolerance In Angle?? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JameT0

Hi,

I have a Bosch combi boiler that has been fitted in the loft with a vertical flue through the roof. However, the plastic flue going up to the roof is a few degrees off vertical... not a great deal, but I'd say the top of the flue is up to 1cm off, compared to the bottom of the flue (it's about 70cms long). Is this an issue? I'm concerned there could be stresses put on the flue if it's not close to perfectly vertical.

thanks

James

Get your installer back if your not happy with the work

You paid for it

Get your installer back if your not happy with the work

You paid for it

It's not so much a case of whether I'm happy with it. It's a case of 'is it ok?'. Obviously the installer thinks it's ok as he fitted it that way, and I'm sure he'll tell me it's ok if I call him back in. I was basically looking for other opinions on whether I had genuine reason for concern or actually, some tolerance in the flue angle was ok.

Is the boiler level?

Hi Alex.... Yes, the boiler is perfectly vertical/level. I wonder if the GSE cut a hole in the roof in just a little too low down the roof and so 'made' the flue fit (though as I say it's not a significant angle, just a few degrees). There is also no evidence that the tiles have moved/slipped in order to cause the flue to move.

I can't see there being any safety issues and as it's in the loft, the aesthetics aren't a problem and to be honest 1cm in 70 aint a mile off as long as the flue is sealed correctly and there are no leaks through the roof

I can't see there being any safety issues and as it's in the loft, the aesthetics aren't a problem and to be honest 1cm in 70 aint a mile off as long as the flue is sealed correctly and there are no leaks through the roof

Thanks Lee - no obvious leaks that I can see and just to add, I have had a carbon monoxide alarm up there as well and no issues (tho I'm not sure CM comes out of the flue anyway!).

vertical should mean vertical really, thats why we carry bubble gauges, you may end up compromising the seals over time and the manufacturers dont include a +/- degree limit in their instructions to the best of my knowledge

vertical should mean vertical really, thats why we carry bubble gauges, you may end up compromising the seals over time and the manufacturers dont include a +/- degree limit in their instructions to the best of my knowledge

I can see this being an awkward one... the fitter won't agree that there's a problem with it being at a slight angle, so I'll then either have to get GS in to assess it and then force the reluctant fitter to correct tiles, straighten it etc, or pay up for another GSE to happily put it straight. hmmmm

I'd say there are bigger things to worry about. Close the hatch up and have a nice cup of tea. As long as the flue to sealed and water isn't getting in I'd let it go.

1cm off the square is not a problem as long as it is properly supported (clipped).
Gas Safe won't be interested.

This problem is partly due to worcester supplying 2 screws with a flue component. This allows lateral movement.
1 extra screw at a cost of around 1p would sort this issue. Unfortunately companies are run by accountants.

Tmz, bod, AppPlumbing and everyone who replied - thanks for your help. The flue seems sealed, supported, rain tight etc so I'll leave it as is and wait until it's serviced, then see from there... thanks again.

nothing is made, built or fitted dead plumb today, a degree or two out is not a problem if its been fitted correctly, and supported and screwed at the joints.

nothing is made, built or fitted dead plumb today, a degree or two out is not a problem if its been fitted correctly, and supported and screwed at the joints.

there's no pride out there nowadays, aren't you allowed to beat apprentices anymore to within an inch of their life when they lose a screw,
countries going to the dogs:sad:

even when clipped properlly they can shift a little due to the rubber slates elasticty a couple of degrees isnt going to be a problem

there's no pride out there nowadays, aren't you allowed to beat apprentices anymore to within an inch of their life when they lose a screw,
countries going to the dogs:sad:

if your lucky you may find a level wall or floor or a square corner to fix things too, and you may get a pedestal or toilet thats formed perfectly level............... once a year. If your lucky you may have a floor out of level one way and a pan the other which makes it level :)

i find polishing turds messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

T
Do a slightly dodgy job and let the extractor...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
I took those photos! Looks like the only...
Replies
Views
In principle it's should not drip but in...
Replies
Views
If it’s in the manufacturer’s instructions...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back