Boiler Vibrating with Underfloor Heating? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Vibrating with Underfloor Heating? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DontDoDIY

Thought I'd posted this already, but can't find it. Apologies if I'm posting again.

We had underfloor heating installed as part of an extension during the summer, along with a new condenser boiler and hot water system.

We've not had the underfloor heating on much, as it was summer. When we first put it on not long after installation we woke early one morning to an awful noise which was caused by air in the manifold pump. Once this was bled, there were no more noise and we thought it was all ok - however the heating hasn't been on as the extension wasn't finished and it's not been cold.

Now that it's a bit colder and the extension is finished we've put on the underfloor heating. There was some intermittent vibrating noises, so the plumber who installed the new system came out and got another plumber to install a bypass. This hasn't made any difference, in fact I think it has made it worse.

Tonight I switched the UFH on to see exactly what's happening. Once the actuators start to rise, there is a horrible juddering / vibrating noise which seems to start from the boiler, this continues and seems to make the pipes and manifold judder / vibrate as well. It doesn't show any signs of stopping so I just have to switch it off.

It's a Worchester Greenstar boiler, Thermoboard manifold, Grundfos manifold pump and there are 4 zones in the system.

The orange balancing values on the top of the manifold are all set to 1 - I think the plumber who added the bypass must have moved these as I don't think they were always set at 1.

We have radiators upstairs and the boiler heats these ok with no noise and there are no problems with heating the hot water.

I haven't managed to get a hold of the plumber again, and I'm freezing - so any advice would be appreciated!

I'll try and upload a video to you tube to show the noise it's making.

check the flow and return from the boiler to the u/f heating manifold are the right way round, if the water is flowing the wrong way throught the manifold the littel zone vales could be charitting this might be the noise you can hear. Also turn the valve from 1 to 4 when it is all running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I started a long winded response but deleted...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
So you don’t have any of the blending valves /...
Replies
Views
U
Thanks
Replies
Views
Uzible
U
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
Back