Boiler wiring advice needed please | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler wiring advice needed please in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tommi200

Hi
I am upgrading an old open vent boiler to a new condensing one. Have chosen a Vaillant ecotec plus418 and wish to enhance it with weather compensation. This means installing their VR65 control centre.
Ive no issue or concerns with the system wiring but for one point. Vaillant instruction for the VR65 doesnt have reference to the room stats and a Vr470 weather compensated time programmer doesnt either?? So has anyone any knowledge on how the system is meant to control room temperatures.
I was anticipating fitting the programmer in to the slot on the boiler and then running the CH on cable from the VR65 to the live on the two seperate zone stats, and from these connecting to the relevant motors on the relevant zone valves before linking the orange wire from the zone valve micro swith outputs to the switched live (terminal 4) on the boiler. But Im not sure if this is still OK if I have the controller and boiler connected using the Vaillant Ebus system?

Has any one any experience on this matter.
thanks

hi, dont understand why you want to put vr470 in boiler and not in a room ? its a modulating prog stat.
also why are there no instructions ?
this is very easy to wire up, no offence, but its clear by what you have written that you dont know what you are doing and shuold leave it to your installer/sparks
imho

Sorry - I think I can't have ask the question correctly.
I have 2 heat zone +hw in the open vent system. I wish to stay with that and just upgrade the boiler and am having a gas installer round this week to discuss. I'm just trying to understand the basis of control so I can have a sensible chat with installer.
I just want to control the ch and hw in the same way as I do at moment with the programmer installed in the boiler as present. I had read that weather compensating the boiler made it even more efficient- which is why I posed the question as I don't fully understand -- as you allude to.
can anyone advise what options I may have.
thanks.

I have 2 heat zone +hw in the open vent system. I wish to stay with that and just upgrade the boiler and am having a gas installer round this week to discuss. I'm just trying to understand the basis of control so I can have a sensible chat with installer.
I just want to control the ch and hw in the same way as I do at moment with the programmer installed in the boiler as present. I had read that weather compensating the boiler made it even more efficient- which is why I posed the question as I don't fully understand -- as you allude to.
thanks.
your installer will advise,,speak to him regarding your concerns

thanks.

you wont be using vr65 then, and as i said in previous post, use your vr470 as modulating prog room stat and hot water timer and another one or room stat for other heating zone.
as i and desrob say talk to your installer
imho

thanks for this, its very interesting and worth taking note of, tho haven't fit any of the 400 series open vent models only system and combi versions and am not aware of this happening with those
It appears this problem only occurs with the 400 series open-vented boilers. The only obvious difference from the system and combi boilers is that the pump is not built in. But I suspect there are other differences, e g. heat exchanger, PCB and gas valve, which are causing this problem.

thanks fo rall the advice guys
Ive had the installer around for a discussion of options. He was aware of general weather compensation issues and has advised against going for that. WRT simply controlling my system ( which he has named as a honeywell S plan plus system) as it is currently controlled he has advised that if I want to integrate the timer controls in with the boiler casing as per my old boiler then I should simply go for a Vaillant 140 timer switch.
After he went I had a look on the vaillant web site and it seems to fit the bill but there is no diagram as to how it wires up the current thermostats and zone valve micro switch outputs.
As I cant confirm what Ive been advised Im nervous of going with this in case I get faced with costs to add on because it doesnt actually end up working as I currently have.
Does anyone concur with using the timer switch advised and if so can you explain how the existing wiring interfaces with timer. The vaillant website simply says the timer plugs directly in the boiler PCB system - the timer switch manual reads as if it would control the existing thermostats and zone valves as they are presently - but there is no diagram or descriptin of how they are wired in.

Hello mate. Heating control wiring has needed an electrical certificate issued on completion for some time now so if you aren't registered with an electrical self certification scheme then you are best getting a spark in to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
Great summary and well done for getting it...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the input on this, much...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
Yes spot on need to have a look behind the...
Replies
Views
Back