BOILER with no power lights on ?? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss BOILER with no power lights on ?? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Janine

Hello everyone

Im sat at home at the moment freezing cold with no hot water or heating and wondered if there maybe a simple explanation that a lady like me wouldn't know to check !

I have a heatline vizo 15 months old that has decided to stop working...there are no power lights on what so ever .... i have checked the fuse, but thats all i can think of as all electric and gas in the rest of the house is fine :confused:

would be very grateful for any suggestions :)

Im sorry guys i thought this forum was open to non professionals too :eek:

I wont post again.... im in a dilemma and was rushing around looking for advise ..sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
no power to boiler is indicative of fuse blown, brocken wire in cable, loose connection in fused spur/socket or at connection in boiler. Best call out an engineer if unsure, on monday unless you want a big callout out charge. wheres home an rgi on here might be willing to come out. nb forums are for all those wanting to ask, but hopefully they wont mess with the gas bits unless qualified

Last edited by a moderator:
first of all, dont appologise. this forum is exactly for asking those sort of questions for people like you/
second, surely there is a 2 year guarentee on this boiler, call them out after checking there is power to the spur.

Thank you for your reply's, :)

I thought for a minute it was a forum for the professionals :eek:

Yes, it is in its second year warranty, but i was trying to eliminate anything obvious that someone like me wouldn't think of checking as i have a feeling if i call the heatline engineers out they can charge me if its not actually a fault with the boiler.

The boiler lives in the garage...all other electrics down there are working fine.

I checked the fuse in the wall switch by buying some new 3amp ones but that didnt help so maybe i might have to call them out and hope for the best :rolleyes:

Does the boiler only have a light when it's actually firing? (Some Worcester oil boilers work this way.) If so it could be something totally different like the room thermostat has failed and not giving a call signal to the boiler to get going and heat up.

Hi all... well i managed to catch a neighbor that knows his electrics ... firstly he tested the supply,all was fine, so he then went into the boiler and took out two clear fuses that were on a circuit board ..they were the culprits !..he's replaced them for me and so far so good...fingers crossed it stays that way...do you think its likely to happen again ? as dont the fuse's blow due to a fault somewhere ??...he did say it would probably have blown again more or less straight away if there was a fault its just a case of wait and see.

Thanks for any advice given though :)

well, more or less i say.
thing is, unless the fuse replacements are exactly the right mA' type. next time they blow, will proberbly be £150 for a new p.c.b plus fitting.?.
food for thought.

OMG really !!

well im hoping hes used the right ones then ha-ha... he did get me to double check what was written on the originals as my eyesight is a bit better than his so im really hoping there right now..youve worried me !!..thanks though :)

OMG really !!

well im hoping hes used the right ones then ha-ha... he did get me to double check what was written on the originals as my eyesight is a bit better than his so im really hoping there right now..youve worried me !!..thanks though :)

Hi Janine,
Did changing the 2 fuses work on your boiler? My boiler has done the same thing...I found the 2 fuses blown and have changed them twice which seems to work for a few hours then they blow again! Its too cold for these problems :eek:(

hi as another thread as just come in about the same boiler you could have a leaking bush on the diverter valve causing the motor to get wet and blow the fuses when fuses blow there is always a reason for it

hi as another thread as just come in about the same boiler you could have a leaking bush on the diverter valve causing the motor to get wet and blow the fuses when fuses blow there is always a reason for it

thanks Gasman

This has happened to a heatline we fitted due to cost limitations on the part of the customer - it was the cheapest available.

The power goes off check 3 amp fuse - ok
Replace the internal clear fuses in the boiler - success !
BUT the problem will return
its the diverter valve which leaks and that is above the electrics.

So your success will be short lived - get an engineer in during the week coming - the
leak gets worse.

We think its a badly designed boiler - the manufacturer told us
that 'sludge in the system caused the valve to wear prematurely'

The boiler was taken out and replaced

centralheatking

If a fuse blows there is normally a good reason, you cant just replace the fuse and think you have fixed it, you should seek a gas man and ask for a quick once over of the electrics, don't ask for a service as most engineers just service the gas side of the boiler and your be lucky to get a 3amp fuse check.

If a fuse blows there is normally a good reason, you cant just replace the fuse and think you have fixed it, you should seek a gas man and ask for a quick once over of the electrics, don't ask for a service as most engineers just service the gas side of the boiler and your be lucky to get a 3amp fuse check.

As mentioned in anther thread, lets not critisize and slag off other people in a public forum, one shouldnt assume others always have your bad habits!!

fair point oldplumber, I did not mean to offend. 95% of the Gas Safe Registered guys would always check the electrics and fuse before a service, its just the odd one might forget, we have all done it.

Gasman is bang on, I would certainly be checking for short cicuits , usually the pump blows the 3 amp fuse rather than just those on the board, woudn't rule it out. Resistance should be 150ohms at speed 3, 250Ohms at 2& 300Ohms at 1 - if indeed there is variable speeds. These are approximates but will at least negate that as the prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks again! Will try to find out!
Replies
Views
A
so it doesnt screw into the gas valve? get a...
Replies
Views
I have recently had exactly the same problem...
Replies
Views
David Goodwin
D
As above I'm afraid no further advice we can...
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
Could be cavitation if the header tank only a...
Replies
Views
Back