Boiler won't switch off when cylinder stat is satisfied | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler won't switch off when cylinder stat is satisfied in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jaw

Hi

I visited a customer this morning. They have just bought the house and have noticed that the boiler will not switch off when the cylinder stat is satisfied. I have checked the operation and voltage outputs of the cylinder stat, 3 port valve and time clock and all are ok. What I have noticed in the wiring centre during testing is the following:

1. When power to the time switch is first put on the wire connected to the cylinder stat "call for heat" (not the orange to the 3 port valve) shows no voltage which is correct.
2. When in operation the "call for heat" side of the cylinder stat becomes live and the boiler fires.
3. When the cylinder stat is satisfied the boiler does not switch off and there is also live voltage from the wire connected to the "call for heat" wire (again, not the orange wire)
4. If you turn the power off to the timeswitch and back on again the wire connected to the "call for heat" side becomes none live again until the cylinder stat is used again.

I believe that the original wiring of the controls is wrong but before I call out an electrician I just wondered if anybody had come accross a similar problem. I can't get any other info from the customer as they have inherited the system. They were told by the old owner to use the immersion heater to warm up the water!!!! This need'nt be the case as the boiler will do both - to be honest I do smell a rat!

Your thoughts are most welcome

Thanks

Any strange ones I just rewire myself it only takes half a hour or so and at least you know it is right from then on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
Seemed so, for that first half hour. House had...
Replies
Views
A
Are you sure it’s still vented? Should have...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the input on this, much...
Replies
Views
Back