Break down on Glow Worm Micron 100 FF | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Break down on Glow Worm Micron 100 FF in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hello all.

I got called to a break down on a Glow Worm Micron yesterday.

The boiler was sparking, but not igniting.

I didn't persue the repair too much as I AR'd the boiler down to flue termination issues.

Anyway, I want to give the client two options, repair the boiler/rectify some of the issues with the flue termination (i.e - permanently seal shut nearby windows).

I also want to give client the option of a replacement.

The boiler would work, when I opened the seal to the combustion chamber, thus introducing more air.

What are peoples thoughts on probable cause? I'm thinking blocked pilot?

Any opinions gratefully received as I want to quote for worse case scenario repair job. Ta.

if the boiler lit and ran with the combustion door off you have either flue issues,aps failed or venturies or tubing playing up

I'd agree regards a pilot issue Danny. Could also be a weak spark. I'd price at least for a full pilot assembly electrode and lead :) I was going to suggest bricking up the windows actually on your other post.. LOL

That's exactly what I thought mate, so I called manufacturer to confirm. He told me it couldn't be the APS as it had allready passed this stage of ignition. In fairness, I didn't test the APS with the meter.

The venturi's on this boiler are made of metal, and part of the fan assembly. The fan was replaced last year by another engineer. (He left the old one on the floor by the boiler). I checked the tubes for kinks or cracks and they seemed sound.

Anyway. I ws veering towards APS but the last Glow Worm Micron I repaired, did indeed have a blocked pilot. I can't be sure with this one, as I broke the assembly while removing it. DOH.

I capped it off after that and uprated AR to ID. Just incase they decided to switch it on.

I remember this deal with it running with the combustion seal broken as you helped me repair a Feroli a couple of years back with the same issue. (venturi)

if the boiler lit and ran with the combustion door off you have either flue issues,aps failed or venturies or tubing playing up

Hi gas man ... Dannypipe mentions it sparking with case on. It sounds like introducing a bit of turbulence gets the gas to light?

Diamond, that's a bloody genius idea!! Brick up the windows. Seriously! Would work.

Diamond, that's a bloody genius idea!! Brick up the windows. Seriously! Would work.

I take it its a store room or something then :) You could just board out the inside if looks don't matter .. ?

Trust me mate, looks really don't matter here. Its a pub. If you've ever worked on the plumbing in pubs you'll know that most of them are pretty grim behind the scenes!!

I can't beleive I didn't think of it myself. Sometimes a solution is staring you right in the face.

I have 'permanently' sealed a window before but on speaking to Gas Safe you have to practically magic it so it can never be opened again to fully comply.

Bricking it in won't take long, and no one could argue the toss that way.

So we're all agreed on blocked pilot now are we?

Do I have to pay you lot any commision for this advice??!!

The electrode lead is prone to shorting out on any metallic surface. When you remove case in may not be contacting and will give full spark.
Just to rule this out, tape the electrode up end to end with leccy tape and try.
Had this fault on a number of occasions.

Really? So the insulation on the lead might have a small crack in it, and it's arcing on the casing.

I think to ensure I go and get the thing up and going in one visit, I'll replace the pilot assembly, electrode and lead.

it could be a blocked pilot issue but when it runs with the door off what does the pilot flame look like? size,velocity etc? try a new injector but i would still check the venturie

The electrode lead is prone to shorting out on any metallic surface. When you remove case in may not be contacting and will give full spark.
Just to rule this out, tape the electrode up end to end with leccy tape and try.
Had this fault on a number of occasions.
forgot about that one had that last week on a classic pilot shield had moved arcing out the electrode been a long,long day brain is only running at 40 %

Trust me mate, looks really don't matter here. Its a pub. If you've ever worked on the plumbing in pubs you'll know that most of them are pretty grim behind the scenes!!

I can't beleive I didn't think of it myself. Sometimes a solution is staring you right in the face.

I have 'permanently' sealed a window before but on speaking to Gas Safe you have to practically magic it so it can never be opened again to fully comply.

Bricking it in won't take long, and no one could argue the toss that way.

So we're all agreed on blocked pilot now are we?

Do I have to pay you lot any commision for this advice??!!

Just do the inside Danny! :)

Think the pilot was fine with the case off. I'll be honest I didn't want to spend too long diagnosing the fault as I was planning to AR the boiler anyway.

However replacing it is going to be a pig of a job, and I would like to make safe and repair it. Save the customer some money and me some hassle.

Many thanks to all that have replied. Brilliant advice. :)

Just do the inside Danny! :)

You mean just board up the inside to comply with flue issues? You think I'd be OK with that? Any advice on specifics?

Generally I'd like to see it that noone could undo the screws and open the windows!

You mean just board up the inside to comply with flue issues? You think I'd be OK with that? Any advice on specifics?

Generally I'd like to see it that noone could undo the screws and open the windows!

I've seen just the inside boarded over before. Myself I'd probably use blocks. Could even skim it over for effect :)

Yeah, don't think I'll just over board the window. I'll block it up on the outside too. Use a couple of concrete blocks.

Break the old trowel out!! LOL.

Many thanks.

Danny.

if there is a window that did open I would mechanically screw it closed or use sealant to avoid it ever being opened again , Same as all the councils have done in blocks of flats , If the boiler is sparking it cannot be anything but the gas valve or blocked pilot presuming you are getting voltage to the gas valve imho good luck

I have had this twice once due to the custart fiddling the leccy and the other a new leccy meter it was reverse polarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Price can vary dramatically so you'll have to...
Replies
Views
I’ll make one, it’s basically only two bits of...
Replies
Views
T
Probably best discussed with your installer...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi and thanks for the reply. No I purchased...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Back