British Gas subby work | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss British Gas subby work in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsmart

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I'm just about to start subbying for BG and they've told me I need to set up a ltd company and get a waste carriers licence. Does that sound about right ?

if you are removing a boiler and taking away from site, or copper and taking it home then you need a waste carriers licence , or anything else which is not waste that you have produced, for example, offcuts of new copper pipe is you generated waste, but old heating pipe is customer generated waste. so if they are providing you with a skip on site and you put all customer generated waste in it .... scrap and all then technically you shouldn't need the waste carriers licence . but if you are transporting customer generated waste anywhere from site you need it. hope this helps. no clue about the ltd bit

Thanks cxr, I did assume that for installs you would need one but for servicing hmm. Seems like another excuse for the government to put you over a barrel.

When I used to do BG work they had own people that used to remove rubbish etc. Its not just the cost of getting licence , its also tipping charges, Why do they want you to go Ltd ?

Jts They said something about a new law that if a sole trader reports to a contract manager then they're not a sole trader so that's where the Ltd co thing is coming in. Don't really fancy the idea if I'm honest.

i looked at subboing from ph jones which is part of bg and they to will no longer deal with sole prop buisnessesits only about 20 to form a company go directly to companies house to do it not through an agent
you will need an accountant to do books monthly

BG installs have their waste collected from site but service keep it and have it collected once a month from their meetings.
A waste carriers license is free from the council I thought? I didn't have to pay for mine.

Think its £150, make sure you use the offical web site heard of one very similar that charges "an admin fee".

that waste carriers licence is something every one needs to think about i thought plumbers were exempt.better clean the van out.

There is a free waste carriers licence for your waste. I have one but cant for the life of me remember how i did it.

I just went on to the local council web site, filled out application form and they sent me my waste carriers license. No charge.

the LTD scenario is reference to agencies ,
The whole set up has now changed where if you don't supply materials then you can't be classed as a sub contractor now however if you go ltd it is a different scenario .
They do have umbrella schemes tho where its like being on the cards but you still a sub contractor .

Its what the govt have done to stop all this subbing lark and try to force sole traders on the books now.

Its all quite pants and confusing

the LTD scenario is reference to agencies ,
The whole set up has now changed where if you don't supply materials then you can't be classed as a sub contractor now however if you go ltd it is a different scenario .
They do have umbrella schemes tho where its like being on the cards but you still a sub contractor .

Its what the govt have done to stop all this subbing lark and try to force sole traders on the books now.

Its all quite pants and confusing

Back to the facts that the Gov don't want sole traders, seen this starting years back, changing rules / having to pay out more every year just to be able to earn a living, get us all on the books ! make us easer to control, BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING

For the waste we generate you only need a lower tier licence, which is free. Apply online, takes 5 minutes.

I applied to my local council.
they sent one for free.
As for ltd, if your making more than 25k profit, you will be better off being ltd.

No idea on waste carriers licence unfortunately but some insight on Ltd companies. Do it through companies house which is a .gov site now. Current cost is £15 (no VAT). Make sure the name is available by doing a google search for companies house webcheck then you can go on to register. It can be a bit confusing and they don't offer an over the phone service for orders but if you call them they are pretty helpful.

I think that this has partly come about because if you sub contract for too long (28 weeks consecutively I think) then technically you're seen as employed, in this case by BG, and they have to pay you holiday and sick. This way it's you, and your limited companies problem.

Plumbers are not exempt - why would they be?

Lower tier is free of charge,but the question:
Do you ever deal with building, construction or demolition waste?

is critical. Answer no, you are lower (free), answer yes, you are higher (£154)

If you chop a wall for a boiler flue and takeaway the bricks, I suggest you should say yes. And be subject to a £1 a week charge.

Plumbers are not exempt - why would they be?

Lower tier is free of charge,but the question:
Do you ever deal with building, construction or demolition waste?

is critical. Answer no, you are lower (free), answer yes, you are higher (£154)

If you chop a wall for a boiler flue and takeaway the bricks, I suggest you should say yes. And be subject to a £1 a week charge.

Nope. I called the environment agency and spoke to someone on the waste licensing team. Her explanation was clear and definitive. If you generate a small amount of waste as a by-product of your normal activity, and that activity is not demolition or big building projects, then you can happily tick no.

If you do a full bathroom refurb, for example, and take your own waste away then you have to tick yes. If you get a skip (or a licensed waste disposal company) to deal with that waste, then you are still lower tier.

IF you decide to carry your own waste for a job like this, then you need upper tier. But if that isn't going to be in the near future, then you can still be lower tier and apply for a change of status within 28 days of you starting to carry such waste.

So for boiler installers you need never go upper tier. If you do do a bathroom, upgrade when you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello Alex, I am a self employed engineer and...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Thank you for the replies. I had another...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas...
Replies
Views
I’ll make one, it’s basically only two bits of...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have just qualified as a registered gas...
Replies
Views
Back