British gas | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss British gas in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

villa_tom

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi all,

I was recentley made redundant and have set up on my own, I have been offered an induction at british gas to sub to them. I have a few questions really;

1, what is the test like which they make you sit

2, what are they like to sub to in general, i have been offered 20 pound per serviced appliance and will be given 10/12 jobs per day, but i dont know what the access rate is like?

I have been offered the same, want me to sit a test then induction for 2 days in Leeds, if I pass the test. They told me it would be closed book, prob a similar sort of thing to the ACS but without books. Why you can't use your everyday reference books is beyond me, such as unsafe situations etc. The story is, pass test, do induction, get an immediate 250 quid payment. I'm a bit cautious myself about it.
As well as the 20 quid a service, which I think is a bit pap, they want to offer 50 quid a repair. I'm willing to listen to what they have to offer, but I wouldn't be pulling my puds out for them.
Has anybody else had dealings with good old gritish bas subby?

Hmm!

They use closed book tests because you don't really want to be seen by the customers looking at an instruction book on how to service their boiler do you?

The psychological effects can be quite alarming, They think you don't know what your doing. A bit like going to the doctors and he or she saying "Hang on I will just look up to see if it says anything in the medical book about what could be wrong with you?"

Would you be so certain about their abilities as a doctor after that?

They know gas can kill you and they trust you to know your job, having to look it up in a book before you start does not help them with that trust I should imagine.

If you have to use the books keep them in the van or better still use a laptop and take that inside, using a pc often impresses people even if you don't know what your looking for until you find it.

I was at one of their inductions last week, half failed the initial test and were told to leave, bit of a surprise as I dont think anyone expected it.
As far as their way of working goes, you really need to get into their way of thinking. The service is largely down to the reading on the FGA, (apart from a BBU which is always a strip down and clean). The usual checks still apply, Flue, ventilation, fsd etc. The big one which kinda surprised us was no tightness test unless you're doing a landlords check. Once its explained it makes sense, its too long to mention on here. They are also big on electrical isolation and checking fuses. They supply a socket and see for this purpose.
Im starting to sub for them in a few weeks and everything is being supplied (apart from the van and hand tools),e.g. a laptop with their service info system (which is quite impressive), FGA and all safety PPE. You need to get your electrical gear pat tested and you need an rcd incase you need to connect into the homeowners sockets for your hoover or whatever.
As far as the test goes, it wouldnt do you any harm to look over ventilation in compartments for rs and of appliances, basic electrical - polarity etc, unsafe situations, some gas regs which are pretty straight forward and basic CCN1 safety.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I am subbing to them for servicing,as many jobs as you want each day. I generally do around 8. Almost 100% access and I am working very locally.

I also sub to them for 3 days a week, but doing installtions.

Quite happy so far. Im clearing on average £500ish a week through them and am left with 2/3 days a week to do my own work.

How much are you paid per service, if you don't mind me asking. And is this per appliance or house.
KYLE

Plucky...did you request installs or was it there choice?

I went through an agency (RIG ENERGY) and told them I wanted installation work so I guess they must have sorted it for me.

I also sub to them for 3 days a week, but doing installtions.

Quite happy so far. Im clearing on average £500ish a week through them and am left with 2/3 days a week to do my own work.

what sort ot things did u have to do to start up with bg? im self employed looking to do bout 3 days installing for them as im not interested in the servicing was it quick n easy? what sort of day rate do they pay? i heard it wasnt that great but if your making 500 ish for 3 days???

thanks damon

Why do some panic when closed book is mentioned? Reference to specific manufacturers instructions is different, but basic safety questions should be a breeze, if not you would have to question someone's ability to do the job.

Hi guys, just a quick note -
British Gas a currently very light on work and have just cancelled around 500 apprenticeships and are cutting back Service & Repair contractors hours or just getting rid of them all togethor (Depending on the area)
They are also not Hard Pinning Jobs anymore unless you are on 'Radicalls' (Just servicing a pre-set number of boilers per day) and you will normaly be required to travel alot more between jobs.

There is always tonnes more work for contractors in the Winter.

i know of one contractor who has 20 guys subbing at the moment who has been told they will all be finishing next week, and i also know others who are punted to aberdeen and north of england via their agency as there is no work in glasgow/lanarkshire areas for them

before spending money on pat testing you should be aware that they are letting contractors go left right and centre, there just isnt enough work for engineers at the moment, they want you on the books so they can call on you in winter time when it starts to get busy. if you are starting make sure you leave the paperwork asked and fill in the safety screens on the laptop they are extremely HOT on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
One DM in five years? Congratulations on...
Replies
Views
Hello Alex, I am a self employed engineer and...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Damn. When it's that close then most people...
Replies
Views
I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
Back