Broken Giacomini TRV valve | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Broken Giacomini TRV valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stephenhamilton

Hi

We've got a very old radiator, with a very old Giacomini TRV attached to it. My wife was adjusting it over the weekend and appears to have snapped the head. I can get a replacement online, but how to remove the remaining bits of the head?

My reading online suggests that the valve needs to be fully open, and then the remainder should be able to be pulled off. However, it appears to not be fully open as there is no give. So, does anyone have any ideas how I can fully open it if the head has snapped?

Pictures of the offending valve below :)

valve01.jpgvalve02.jpg

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It's very easy to change the head, as it's broken the Trv will/should be fully open, just lift up the white plastic collar and pull off, turn the new Trv head to max lift the plastic collar up on new Trv head and push on the Trv body, then push collar down.

Hi Alpha man.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately my problem is I suspect the TRV isn't fully open as when I try to do what you suggest it does not budge.

That's why I'm wondering if there is a way I can fully open it even with the broken head.

Cheers

Stephen

Hi Alpha Man

Thanks very much for your response. Unfortunately my problem is I suspect that the TRV is not fully open, as when I try what you suggest the thing doesn't budge.

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to fully open the TRV when its head is broken.

Pull pin up 5mm with grips. Turn all other rads off when doing it to increase pressure. Bang vale with grips too.

to remove it pull the lowest white collar upwards till it hits the next white collar then pull valve off.

Id just get a new trv and swap it. Bit of work draining down and refilling but simple enough.

Thanks for all the suggestions. So, I've checked the pin and yes, its fully open. So basically the issue is the parts that remain (the two pieces of collar) just have no give. I can't pull up the lower collar or twist or anything.

So, junior hacksaw it off - is this the best approach. I'm happy to do this, just looking for confirmation as I am a total diy/plumbing newbie.

Once again, thanks for the suggestions - it's appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Closing the loop... I replaced the valve body...
Replies
Views
Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
M
Correct. It would use a standard sized nut...
Replies
Views
Thank you very much - second time I've needed...
Replies
Views
Jeremy
J
  • Question
Yes perhaps it has moved it. As for...
Replies
Views
Back