Burst plastic piping. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Burst plastic piping. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a recurring problem with my central heating system, the pipework from my boiler to the hot water tank keeps on bursting, it has occurred 3 times now. The pipe is 28mm Hep2o and it is physically splitting the pipe, not blowing off at the fittings.

The house is 9 years old and this is the 3rd time it has happened, always on the same piece of pipework, should there be some pressure relief to prevent the pipe from bursting as when it bursts it pretty much explodes.

Does anyone have an idea as to what the issue could be? Is it a defective peice of pipe or is there a fundamental problem with the system?

How close to the boiler is the pipe? In terms of metres or feet of pipe run.

That isn't too close to the boiler.

If this is a sealed system there should be a pressure release dump set at 3 Bar, often incorporated in the boiler. Hep should be good for 6 Bar even at 90°C...

FB_IMG_1505727221767.jpg

If I were you, I would send the pics to the manufacturer of the pipe.

I would go as far as requesting someone from the manufacturers to come and inspect the pipe.

If this has happened on the same piece of pipe on 3 separate occasions, they will be interested in testing the pipe.

The same batch of pipe, or the same section within your installation?

I wonder if the PRV is seized?

The same batch of pipe, or the same section within your installation?

I wonder if the PRV is seized?

Wouldn't be in the same spot tho every time

Yeah, presumably the OP has bought a length and keeps using this batch to repair the damaged section?

The damaged pipe is the original pipework installed when the house was built. I have patched it twice now but obviously something is amiss.

If you still have the split piece I would send it to the manufacturer and ask them to analyse it to see if they can pin point it

Any pictures of the boiler? Could the pressure relief have been capped off or isolated?

It could be a batch of faulty pipe, but I doubt it. Given the consistent way it's failing, it is more likely to be an incorrectly designed/installed system. The expansion vessel might, for example, be on the wrong side of a zone valve so it's isolated when you are just heating the HW tank. Numerous other possibilities. We need to see photos, please. Lots of photos.

Remove sction of pipe and pressurise to 20bar and see what happens. Go higher see what fails

I'll try and get some pictures added, working 12 hour shifts so haven't had time to do a great deal.

Thanks for all the replys

Definitely get the manufacturer involved. You never know they may admit fault!!

The only fault they will admit to is an installation fault!!!

Excuses:
- Never ever seen that with our product.
- Our quality control systems wouldn't allow that to happen.
- It must be due to damage in transit - we can't be held accountable.
- Something has caused external damage to the pipe causing the pipe to rupture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Why don't you find out when the system was...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
Is the gas pipe magnetic?
Replies
Views
15m of 11.5mm ID will circulate 5 LPM to give...
Replies
Views
Back