Busted Boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Busted Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

teddyduchamp

Hey Guys,

Been having issues with my boiler for a while now, it is an Ideal Classic British/Scottish Gas RD1, fitted in November 2004.

Latest issue is the fan, which gave up the ghost and I had it replaced a couple of months back.

All seemed fine, but then got stuck in America when the volcano blew in Iceland, so system was off for a week longer than planned. Came home and it struggled to start, took a few days and it seemed to sort itself out. But then it stopped after a week or two and wouldn't light.

Latest engineer says there is power going to the fan. It's not the PCB as I have a spare one after a previous mis-diagnosis by another engineer! (it turned out to be the thermister harness).

Could it really be a faulty fan even though it is new? Ideal and the fault finding chart seem to say so, but I don't want to be down the cost of another fan. Advice please!

U can Service fans, wash them in the sink, oil the bearings with fan oil and wd40. Refit and see how it goes. Sumtimes it works and other times the fan needs changing. Is there power getting to the fan? is it turning? Is the pressure switch making?

check the fan proving switch is working.
I know it sounds silly but check both the air pipes are connected to it.

Thanks for the input, fellas. Turns out it was a short with the thermister harness, that's the second time it's happened! Maybe it's a common fault. It'll be a modern combi-boiler when this one finally gives up the ghost!

The thermistors are a common fault on this boiler.

Having said that the fan works in a very harsh environment sucking flue gases at about 160°C.

Very unfortunately there are few cowboys who charge for a new fan and then just oil the old one!

Also some who fit "repaired" fans and still charge for a new one.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

B
Did you find a resolution to your problem? We...
Replies
Views
S
Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look at Baxi...
Replies
Views
I moved into a 14 year old house a few months...
Replies
Views
Still got the leak when checked after he left...
Replies
Views
S
Does it have pre-heat functions in the menu.?
Replies
Views
Back