Cable to boiler yes/no? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cable to boiler yes/no? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

diamondgas

Hi folks,

I've always changed cable to flex before wiring into the boiler in the past. I've seen many cables straight into the boiler over the years. My question is, what are the regulations these days?

Reason I ask is because I'm fitting this boiler remote and away from the stat, spur and timer for the first time in a long,..........loooooooooooooong...time & therefore wondered if I MUST change cable to flex before entering the boiler?

What do you do? What do the current wiring regs require?

And before the sparky police step in, I am not Part 'P' OR 'l' OR 'G' ........... OR whatever hoop to jump through is required! ... OBVIOUSLY!!!

just wired a shed load of heating systems in my umpteen flippin years history but would like to know just what today's requirements are! :lol: :)

Cheers, Steve

Heat resistant flex required. Not flat cable.

I would hard wire to a junction box next to the boiler then run heat resistant flex into the boiler.

I always put a junction box on and change to flex either just under the floor or below the boiler as it needs heat resisting cable. Years ago we used to put heat shrink stuff on but i never liked that idea.
Don't know the rules but i think flex has?? to be used for connecting to any appliances. Twin and earth will be cheaper than flex for a long run.

Cheers chaps :) Was my thoughts but wondered, after comming across so many cables straight into boilers whether or not things had changed? And guess I'm getting lazy even thinking otherwise!! :) ........ sheeeeesh!!

Cable to a fused spur (3 amp), heat protected flex from spur to the boiler, very handy to isolate the supply if your servicing in a boiler house any distance from the house.

Most modern boiler require a triple pole switch for isolation now. I use a fan switch.

Yeah local isolation under the boiler if it is fitted remotely, and if your controls are not wired directly from the boiler then as above you need to be able to isolate the s/live also.

Could go a bit ridiculous here and use a five pole isolator.
L, N, E and two for the (allegedly) no volt switching. Lol

Comes from the boiler so no need :)

(p.s I'm pretty sure you were joking but just thought i would clarify!)

Am I alone in seeing boilers wired with cable rather than flex? Mostly in rented properties of the lower rate bracket, if you know what I mean :)

Used to see quite regularly on older installs, not so much now only occasionally on lower end stuff as you say. Voltage free switching, very confusing that. I dare the people who write the instructions to stick there finger in it.

Used to see quite regularly on older installs, not so much now only occasionally on lower end stuff as you say. Voltage free switching, very confusing that. I dare the people who write the instructions to stick there finger in it.

They don't have to, all they do is switch it on, if it works their diagram was correct, if it blows the board something got lost in translation Grrrrrrrrrrrr

To be sure I run everything out in 230v then use a 230 > 0v relay works every time, no loss of signal over the long distances etc and if the diagram is wrong I've still sent 0v to the board.

The things we do to cover for the manufacturers.

Am I alone in seeing boilers wired with cable rather than flex? Mostly in rented properties of the lower rate bracket, if you know what I mean :)
0.75 heat resistant flex required Steve as some of the lads have said if its a fair run put a 20 amp JB under the boards or near the boiler run fixed 1.5mm into that and 0.75 HR from there into the boiler,if you dont want to buy a roll of 0.75 wilkos sell it by the mtr if your stuck,on the subject of what type of isolation to use the regs will ask for a double pole fuse spur personally theres nothing more absolute than a 3 pin plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
Just happened to be rummaging around on the...
Replies
Views
C
Leave it on constant and control it via a...
Replies
Views
Thank you for the detailed and considered...
Replies
Views
Back