Can any plumbers out there any ideas | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can any plumbers out there any ideas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

archer1204

So this is the situation.Its a 1 bedroom apartment on the third floor no 10 on sunday evening about 12.30am i was woken by hearing water in my bathroom.I went in there to find water was gushing from the ceiling through one of my led lights onto the floor.So i quickly grabbed an empty plant pot and went upstairs to the apartment above me and hammered on their door but no one was in.I then phoned for an emergency guy whos on call took about an hour to turn up as he had a long way to drive.Outside each apartment is a stopcock independent for each one.So turned it so the water would stop draining out of my light downstairs.The emergency guy turned up and thought it was best to enter the permises and give the tenant a new lock as he thought the bath was overflowing or something.But on entering the apartment you could barely tell anything was wrong except on the floor near the bathroom was sodden and bubbling everytime he stepped.Also outside in the hall the carpet was damp.So after securing a new lock and making sure the stopcock was turned off he left till the next morning.
Cut a very long story short basically the emergency guy and managing agent went in the next day to put on a humidifier and see how the place was and he gave me a humidifier for my bathroom .Now this is where things get weird because somehow the stopcock gets turned on again but no one knows who did it.
In the evening about 8.30pm i was in my lounge when i heard water dropping again so again repeated the situation with the plantpot and went to check if the tenant had gone back as h was away for the weekend.So again called the emergency guy and he not only turned off the stopcock outside the apartment and also inside.And again as soon as the stopcock was secured the water stopped coming through my light in the bathroom.
At about 9.30 pm the plumber and tenant arrived back to see what he could do but as the tenant was going abroad the next day for a week got left till this morning.
So in the morning i went with the plumber to see if we could work out where the leak was from apartment 14.So he removed the bath panel which in the corner next to apartment 15 was some water staining etc.He then checked the boiler etc.Cut a hole in the plasterboard near the toilet to make sure the pipework there wasnt leaking which there was water in the channel but the pipework was dry so it wasnt that.Then on a hunch he knocked on no 15 apartment who let him in only to discover a faulty washing machine something about extender pipe etc i am not a plumber and yes they had put it on about 8.30pm the night before but it didnt complete the cycle and flooded into the hall etc and unfortunately down into my apartment.But they swear blind no one had put on the washing machine on sunday.
So overall this explains the second flooding but not the first.Is there a chance that there is another leak somewhere.Sorry this is so long but trying to give the fullest information.Any other helpful ideas be appreciated.

Sprinkle a circle of salt around the stop tap...........

I think number 15 are probably telling porkies..........

So even though they swear blind they didnt put the washing machine on sunday you think they did but is there anyway i could prove it otherwise there has to be another leak somewhere.But is it a coincidence that a leak from apartment 15 which then flows into my apartment but by closing off the stopcock on apt 14 it stops the water on not one occasion but both times or is this just a coincidence.I am very tired and totally confused in the last 3 days and nights.

Stop taps are probably mixed up, or no15 washing machine only, is connected to no 14.
It would explain who turned the tap on again it the one you turned off IS for no 15.

That'll be the lying no 15.

Can you get a stopcock that is the wrong way round ie what should be off is on and vice versa?

Hmm thats weird because ours is at the 3 o clock position is off and 12 o clock is on is this normal.

Hmm thats weird because ours is at the 3 o clock position is off and 12 o clock is on is this normal.

Sounds like a lever valve. Is it like this...
15mm-00003945S.jpg
... or this:
10000_9314_25351_86385337_thumb.jpg

Yeah the bottom one looks closest
So is it normal then that 3 o'clock is off and 12 o'clock on?

the stopcock hasnt stopped the leak on either of the occaisions!!

the washing machine is dumping a limited amount of water, hence by the time you notice it and rush upstairs with a plantpot and get on the phone to the emergency guy and then go and turn the stop tap....the source of the leak has ended as the wash cycle has dumped its load so to speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Will be a 15-60 then prob ups2 Green lights ?
Replies
Views
  • Question
have you had a plumber have a go with the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Back