Can hear humming noise when next door uses water | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can hear humming noise when next door uses water in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

M

Missa

Hi. Please help.

I live in a semi detached house and everytime my neighbour uses the shower or sink or even has possibly has central heating on, I can hear a humming water flowing noise in my house and it is louder towards the joint wall.

Why is this happening? And is there a solution to this problems as it is really annoying.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be their water mains pipe transmitting noise from a ballvalve somewhere, perhaps the cold water tank if they have one, in the attic. Have a word with them to get a plumber in to fix or replace the ball valve.

Could also be a pump, if you live in a terraced/ semi-detached house with a single skin brick wall inbetween , I can hear next doors but it's only their shower that's on it so it's not bad really

Thank you. Do you know if anything can be done to stop this noise?

But will the owners of the house next door to you be willing to sort any noise out for you? I hope they are decent people & friendly with you.
Could also well be a pump that serves a shower or also other hot or cold supplies, as Irish has pointed out. Thet can make a terrible drone, especially if installed badly.
I think your first thing to do is approach the neighbours in a pleasant way & ask them do they hear the noise.

This is usually the crapper Wc filling device :yesnod: - the crapper valve which lets the water in
is stuffed needs attention - the noise occurs because the valve has hit
the resonance frequency of the copper pipe system in the building

This makes the whole building pipe system vibrate - A new inlet valve (ball)
will solve the problem centralheatking
Hi. Please help.

I live in a semi detached house and everytime my neighbour uses the shower or sink or even has possibly has central heating on, I can hear a humming water flowing noise in my house and it is louder towards the joint wall.

Why is this happening? And is there a solution to this problems as it is really annoying.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
This is usually the crapper Wc filling device :yesnod: - the crapper valve which lets the water in
is stuffed needs attention - the noise occurs because the valve has hit
the resonance frequency of the copper pipe system in the building

This makes the whole building pipe system vibrate - A new inlet valve (ball)
will solve the problem centralheatking

Thank you centralheatking. We are going to speak to the neighbours and hoping they will allow us to resolve this as it is a bit of a nuisance. Will defo point this out. If this was the issue for example how much would it cost to fix this plz?

We own the house and so does the neighbours :)
Only asked as at least you do not have to go through landlords !
Hopefully you get on with neighbour and can be easily sorted ?
I had water appearing in my kitchen in the first house I bought so when work was done I renewed all pipe work but back came the water !
Turned out was neighbours water mains that went through my floor !
Luckily we got on well so One saturday we literally ran a stihl saw through his kitchen and lounge and water board gave him a seperate connection at the road !
Hope yours is simple

I spoke to the neighbours and they advised they can't hear anything at all but have agreed for us to call a plumber to look into.. It's definitely coming from next door so find it unusual as to why they can't hear it.. The sound does seem it's in the party wall but it's not..

We spoke to the neighbours and they can't hear anything at all.. So why can we? They have agreed to get a plumber to look into.. It seems the sound is from the party wall but it's not!

Similar plumbing topics

M
  • Question
Hi, I've got the same issue. I've got hot...
Replies
Views
T
  • Question
Excellent result, no wonder we struggle to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ok thank you Chuck, yes it does a bit 😆 That's...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi cjg. I am still getting the high pitched...
Replies
Views
Back