Can I close my bypass rad if I keep another open? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can I close my bypass rad if I keep another open? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

B

Beany_bot

Sorry for stupid question but if you don't know you don't know.

Can I turn off the 'bypass radiator" in the hall (has no TRV) as long as I keep another radiator, (any other, somewhere) open?

Or is this bypass radiator somehow plumbed differently and must never be closed?

Yes that’s fine if it’s one with a trv best to remove the head then you can shut it

Thanks, basically I moved the thermostat from the hall to the living room. The hall radiator is the only one without a TRV so was worried about closing it (don't want this rad on anymore, cost of living you know!) But two big rads in the living room will remain open at all times. Just don't want to break the pump or blow up the boiler! I guess the purpose of the "bypass rad" is just to ensure there is some sort of heat sink?

Exactly and for somewhere for the pump to pump when the trvs shut etc hence removing a trv head

On one rad yes think some models still have a max temp then they shut off so best to remove

On one rad yes think some models still have a max temp then they shut off so best to remove
Hmm, wouldn't know how to go about doing that, I assume the whole system would need depressurised? Fairly sure on the max setting it should be "always open". (this is the type I have)
Capture.PNG
But I don't know for sure about these things

Do you see below the openings there is a line bottom side turns eg undo it til it stops then hold the valve and lift / pull the top off might be tight so might need a wiggle

The valve is a danfoss ras c2

Ah I see, so if I take the plastic top off that will stop it closing ever? I just assumed the actual valve control was inside the brass gubbins. Didn't realise the "top bit" did the thermo stuff. So this is it fully and forever open now?
PXL_20220822_203001085.jpg

Last edited:
Ah I see, so if I take the plastic top off that will stop it closing ever? I just assumed the actual valve control was inside the brass gubbins. Didn't realise the "top bit" did the thermo stuff.

Correct

Yes

Similar plumbing topics

No that’s how it’s supposed to work and is set...
Replies
Views
I will have to experiment like you said and...
Replies
Views
D
Ah it's all sealed and can't get in to see the...
Replies
Views
Thank you. That's exactly what I have just...
Replies
Views
Hi d36csr. You aren't a bicycle plumber are...
Replies
Views
Back