Can I fit more than one mini Water Hammer Arrestor? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can I fit more than one mini Water Hammer Arrestor? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

I'd be grateful for any advice re the following:

Background
I have a mini water hammer arrestor on the cold feed into my combi boiler, which is situated in the airing cupboard on my house's landing next to the bathroom. Please see the photo.
IMG_20140821_192830045.jpg

The arrestor was fitted when my old gravity central heating system was converted into a combi boiler system by BG. The arrestor was installed by BG to reduce reverberation in the pipes, which occurred when any of the taps (both hot and cold) in the kitchen and bathroom were turned off and to stop water shooting out of the instant shower over the bath (when turning off any of the taps in the bathroom). The arrestor also reduced some (but not all) of the clunking heard when my washing machine (situated in my kitchen downstairs) stops filling and when the toilet cistern in my bathroom stops filling.

The problem I'd like to solve
The first mini water hammer arrestor that BG installed only lasted about 2 years before it failed. It was then replaced with an identical one (almost 4 years ago) which initially worked almost as well as the BG one had done. However, just 5 months after installation, the replacement arrestor needed re-inflating. After re-inflation it has worked well to stop water shooting out of my over-the-bath instant shower, but the dampening of the reverberation (caused by taps being turned off and the clunking when my washing machine and toilet cistern stop filling) isn't as good as was achieved by the original BG arrestor.

I'm reluctant to replace my present mini arrestor as it is currently working well to stop water from shooting out of my shower, so would fitting a second mini water hammer arrestor on the same pipe (just above the existing arrestor) possibly further reduce the reverberation and clunking?

(I have thought that a water pressure reducing valve might be preferable to fitting another mini arrestor, but it would take a contortionist to get into my kitchen cupboard to fit one on the pipe between the stopcock and the kitchen sink taps.)

Many thanks in anticipation of any advice anyone can give me.

Was a pressure reading quoted? Didn’t think flow is what causes water hammer but excess pressure?
Agreed bud but if hes got 13 litres a minute out a cold water tap say in the kitchen with no restrictions then with no way of measuring the pressure he may aswell try a 1 litre potable expansion vessel on the boiler cold inlet and bracket the pipework up first was my thinking others may disagree . Cheers kop

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I would of clipped the pipework but it is...
Replies
Views
O
  • Question
Can an old mixer tap cartridge cause water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Kop, thanks for the reply. No water storage...
Replies
Views
This is one of those 'it was alright before...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Having thought about it i'm sure there is a...
Replies
Views
Back