Can I identify plumbing material on an old house? | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can I identify plumbing material on an old house? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hello!
I'm looking to buy a second hand apartment. I've been talking to some real estate agents asking what I should be careful with in an old house, but nobody talked about the pipes. And when I raise the issue, it seems none of the agents I talked to had any clear idea of what to look for (signs of problems, or signs of good materials).

So I figured I should ask about the house age and the plumbing materials, and if the agent doesn't know (seems likely), I was wondering if I could identify them?

For instance, I have these pictures, I would guess all of this are stainless or galvanized steel. Can one tell just by looking?

Thanks in advance for your time!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200822_124435.jpg
    IMG_20200822_124435.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20200822_124443.jpg
    IMG_20200822_124443.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20200822_125708.jpg
    IMG_20200822_125708.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20200822_195145.jpg
    IMG_20200822_195145.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 55
Agree stainless years ago there was a shortage of copper in the 1970's due to the Korean war and the oil embargo , house builders had to find a alternative untill the situation was resolved stainless was used not often found now but i have come across it, probably best to replace it with new copper pipework . Kop

Does it matter so long as they appear to be sound? Galv and copper are durable, and can easily last 50-100 years, and I would imagine (ready to be told I'm wrong) that stainless wouldn't be any worse.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I would be guided by you installer everyone...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That worked. The ballcock had already been...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ah.. i see. yes very odd and at this point...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Seems like they would work, but you’d need the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Thanks for clarifying that. Just wanted to be...
Replies
Views
Back