Can I remove a disconnected gas fire,leaving the back boiler in place? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can I remove a disconnected gas fire,leaving the back boiler in place? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

J

Jcuk691

Hi all,

I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe.

I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back boiler.

The fire was disconnected and not been in use for over 15 years. Heating is still on unvented gravity system. The metal shrouds on the fireplace are loose and connecting brackets are missing, screw holes are cross threaded etc. She has a tendency to bump things with her walking frame and keeps knocking the bottom front plate of the fire off and is concerned that she is going to cause herself an injury if it falls off her foot etc.

He has asked me if it would be possible to remove the gas fire, (already disconnected) leaving the back boiler in place as to avoid messy removal, and then to fashion up some sort of cover for the void, something along the lines of a mirror/picture frame. Basically to remove any danger of injury with minumum disruption and cost.

Is there any reason why the back boiler cannot remain in place not to be used if the gas fire is removed? Is there anything regulations wise stopping me doing this work as the gas supply is already disconnected? Or should I advise them to consult a gas safe engineer for this one.

Thanks in advance

Jay

Gas engy I’m afraid

Similar plumbing topics

B
I used to disconnect and drill them. The last...
Replies
Views
The concern is that when the empty boiler...
Replies
Views
Definitely not going to do it, didn't want to...
Replies
Views
Who said it isn't safe nust to cap it off...
Replies
Views
W
This is the way it has been for many years...
Replies
Views
Unregistered
U
Back