Can I repack this Shut off Valve | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can I repack this Shut off Valve in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

The left valve in the second photo feeds a dishwasher and has a leak. It leaks when it is shut - but if opened fully it stops leaking.

This is in Florida and is an old type of valve which screws open/shut, with the new ones being a quarter turn only (maybe ceramic?),
I am not familiar with what is inside the valve seal but I imagine a rubber washer given that black bits have dropped out.
Do you or maybe any of the North American guys know if I could seal this by using PTFE tape to pack the gland?
If thats possible, I presume I would remove the oval handle, remove the nut, repack and reassemble?

Of course, a valve renewal would be in order but not possible just at the moment.
Thanks

Attachments

• Shut off Valve.jpg
    Shut off Valve.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 33
  • Shut off valve(2).jpg
    Shut off valve(2).jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 26
No sorry but you might be able to get the exact same shut off and just swap the guts

Hmm....Looks like I may have been misled about these still being available.
Now I have time I just checked a US forum and found they are apparently still available and manufactured by 'Brass Craft' in various sizes.

Now I just have to figure out the OD of the two pipes - any suggestions about how to measure those?
They show 1/2inch and 3/8 inch varieties available.

Thanks

Now I just have to figure out the OD of the two pipes - any suggestions about how to measure those?
They show 1/2inch and 3/8 inch varieties available.
Twice the circumference of a pipe is 6.28 times its diameter, that's 80mm for the 1/2in and 60mm for the 3/8ths. Cut a piece of string 60 mm long, and wrap it round the unknown pipe. If you can make exactly two turns it's 3/8" OD, if you are short by 20mm of two turns it's the 1/2" OD.

Are you sure you want OD measurements? (In the UK imperial pipe is usually referred to by its ID.)

Thanks for that Chuck - not been back on here since December so only just seen your tip for measuring the OD.
They have a very strange way of sizing their pipes in the USA using both Nominal and OD to give the sizes on these fittings.
Also 5/8, 1/2, 7/16 , 3/8 and 1/4 inch are in use!
For us metricated folks over here its initially rather confusing.
The attached Technical sheet shows 24 variations!

Attachments

• OCR 39 VALVE.pdf
    293 KB · Views: 27

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I do not believe that the end cap doesn't come...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ok, thanks.
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
Loctite 55 sea cord l will do the job. Regards kop
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Replies
Views
  • Question
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone...
Replies
Views
Back