Can I turn boiler down? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can I turn boiler down? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Susie

I am going away for four weeks and want to avoid any frozen pipes but don't want to pay for more gas than necessary.

I have a condensing combi boiler (WB), the radiators have thermostats on, except for the 3 towel rads(which get red hot). When the plumber fit the boiler he told me to leave it on full but do you guys think that it would be OK to lower the boiler and just have it running at night? I don't want to turn it off given how cold it might yet get.

leave your roomstat on 10deg and trv on about 1-2 and boiler on constantly, that way youll have gentle heat all the time. if you leave it off during the day the pipes can still freeze if it turns cold. dont save pennies if you could end up flooding your home, its not worth the risk. do howevr isolate your incoming main to orevent floods if that froze.

As above keep boiler running on a low constant temperature while away in these cold periods, not worth the risk, trust me ive seen plenty over the winter.

ok so turn down the boiler stat and when you come back have a room stat fitted if you want to save money and have the boiler working most efficiently, cost £50-60 for wireless stat and an hours labour

When was the boiler fitted? A room thermostat has been a requirement of a new installation for quite a while now

It was fit about four years ago. I had an extension built and the plumber was brought in by the builder as part of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As said, a roomstat is really easy to install, and could give you benefits of more control. In answer to your original question, my opinion is the same as everyone else. Leave the boiler turned on, but very low. You can adjust the controls on the boiler.

That said, it has been very mild down here of late. Wonder if we'll have another cold snap before spring arrives?

Thanks every one for your advice. I will go away happier knowing the boiler doesn't mind being set on low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You've already spent thousands on a new boiler...
Replies
Views
Yes sorry :D noticed I missed liquid off
Replies
Views
This response doesn't make any sense, as the...
Replies
Views
I’m guessing the installer didn’t have a...
Replies
Views
Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
Back