Can I use PEX pipes to feed a default radiator? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can I use PEX pipes to feed a default radiator? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty much a novice at DIY, fitting a Charnwood Country 8B woodburner with a back-boiler which puts a maximum of 7kW into the water, and the default radiator is 1.335kW.
I'd like to use 28mm PEX pipes, as they're so much cheaper than copper; but I don't know whether it's safe to do that.
Anyone got experience of using PEX as central heating pipes, and did you use them for the default radiator?

Hi im sure other replies will say the same dont bother if it all goes wrong or you make a mistake, its to much of a risk to personal or property.

Pex can't be used with any solid fuel appliance

I'm pretty much a novice at DIY, fitting a Charnwood Country 8B woodburner with a back-boiler which puts a maximum of 7kW into the water, and the default radiator is 1.335kW.
I'd like to use 28mm PEX pipes, as they're so much cheaper than copper; but I don't know whether it's safe to do that.
Anyone got experience of using PEX as central heating pipes, and did you use them for the default radiator?
Having taken your advice, I've bought copper and am about to fit it; but I have a couple of stupid questions. (Actually, more than a couple, it turns out).
Firstly, PTFE tape. Is it worth it (a lot of people recommend it; but many say it makes no difference. Who is right)? Is it stable enough to be used on the piping for the default radiator? What about the fittings on the back of the stove? Intuitively it seems to me that no part of the stove directly connected to water should ever get above 100 degrees, so PTFE tape would be okay. Is that right?
Secondly, one of the plumbers we had in to quote suggested that we could handle filling the system, and dealing with overflow due to expansion, by teeing off from the default radiator flow piping, into a small tank with a ball-cock inlet, and overflow pipe outlet.
That seems entirely reasonable, but I've never seen anyone else suggest it.
Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Where are you reading that the installer is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, both. Good tips. Will give them a go.
Replies
Views
Are you in a hard water area? Limescale in...
Replies
Views
I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Back