Can I work on this set up in a restaurant? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can I work on this set up in a restaurant? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

S

Sharp Point

Morning guys n gals,

I’ve been asked to price a boiler install ( Logic 30) in a restaurant. Take out old combi. The meter is a u16 with 28mm coming off, there’s a commercial cooker on the floor above about 2m away from the meter and the boiler comes off the 28mm and is about 5m run.

I know it’s embarrassing to ask, but I’ve been bitten before and had HSE on my case.... although I ran things by Gas safe.

Thanks

Is there separate iso onto the gas line eg before the boiler ?

Yes, a big lever valve. I guess I can test in section then?

Won’t need to test / cert the commercial size

As you have a lever valve before your appliance which leaves the others still live / functional your fine to change it on a Dom qualification

Yes you can’t touch sorry you can employ a commercial engy to fit a lever valve before the boiler tho

I can, but do you mean within the realms of the law. Im sure the cooker has piezo ignition

You have to cert / make sure it’s running correctly

So if I get a valve installed by a commercial chap, do boiler then get a commercial chap to test the cooker after I’ve TT everything downstream of the valve?

So if I get a valve installed by a commercial chap, do boiler then get a commercial chap to test the cooker after I’ve TT everything downstream of the valve?

Get the commercial chap to install the valve before the boiler

Then get him to test and cert his side eg installing a new valve and relight

Then you can install your boiler under a Dom ticket

Not had much experience with commercial premises with domestic boilers but would there be anything in public liability insurance that could affect this also?

As public liability agreements also ask for what sector your work entails (domestic or commercial environments)?

Not had much experience with commercial premises with domestic boilers but would there be anything in public liability insurance that could affect this also?

As public liability agreements also ask for what sector your work entails (domestic or commercial environments)?

I’d like to think that question is what type of work you are qualified to do... domestic or commercial. If the gas safe laws say that I’m qualified to carry out what Shaun says, then gas safe will be happy and the HSE.... so then it’s all legal and above board.

Yeah I get the legal side of being registered to do the work, just curious as whether the liability insurance would actually still cover it.... It is an insurance after all, and we all know how finicky they can be with definitions and get outs lol.

Yeah I get the legal side of being registered to do the work, just curious as whether the liability insurance would actually still cover it.. It is an insurance after all, and we all know how finicky they can be with definitions and get outs lol.

I’ll look at my insurance details tonight

tbh i would say insurance wise your working on what you normally are a boiler

tbh i would say insurance wise your working on what you normally are a boiler

Worth checking either way I'd say. As if you take your car on a race track your still driving a car, but due to environment being different your insurance doesn't cover it.

I know BG won't allow domestic side to work commercial properties with domestic sized boilers and one of their justifications was to do with insurance allocated for service and repair side being different from the commercial/business division.

I'd say it's a very grey area, and the main reason we sent one of our engineers on the Commercial course even though we don't do commercial installations. When gas safe inspected us they couldn't even give us an answer about domestic boilers in commercial properties. We got it to cover ourselves as we have some customers that we install combis etc in offices etc. Properties that are domestic houses/flat but used as offices - the law/rules really aren't clear when an installation becomes commercial IMO.

I know someone who was done by HSE for issuing a Gas Safety Certificate for a Nursery. Domestic Boiler, Domestic pipework/G4 Meter, Domestic 4 burner hob (That you find in any domestic property) but as the hob was feeding more than X amount of people they classed it as commercial.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You can, as suggested, top up at night/very...
Replies
Views
Have a second gas main fitted at the other end?
Replies
Views
S
Yes you're right, I look at my oftec reg and...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
Thank you for responding Chuck, I have booked...
Replies
Views
On the basis that one opinion is good but two...
Replies
Views
Back