Can not put pressure in my boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can not put pressure in my boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt from Derby

I moved into my house 4 years ago.It has a Worcester 28cdi combi.It has worked well and i have never put any water back into the system but now the guage reads 0.2.Oops.I have watched a video clip on you tube explaining how to refil the system,i have inserted the white plastic key (and turned it) however when i open that infeed water valve thing you can hear the water start to move but then nothing,the dial does not move.When i remove the key there is a little bit of water there but only a tiny amount,is this because the water is not progressing past this point? and do i have to do this refil whilst the boiler is in operation like with a hot water tap on or with the radiators on.I know that i should have sorted this problem a while ago but to me if it works i don't touch it.I learn by my mistakes and always the hard way.Any advice would be much appreciated.Cheers Matt

There should normally be 2 valves to open, but sometimes just one.
There is a non-return valve present which could be stuck. Unless you know what you are doing you need to call an expert or you could end up with a mess.

The gauge may be blocked and there is actually water going in to the system, it's just not displaying it.

my mate has a less than 1 yr old worcester boiler that uses a key and his don't fill either. he's waiting for them to come and change it under warranty.

you could find a rad valve with a drain off valve and backfill system that way. but i would want to be reasonably sure that there is not a big leak somewhere first which caused the pressure to drop in the first place.

If you can hear the water going in then I would say that it probably is though. Is the boiler working?

my mate has a less than 1 yr old worcester boiler that uses a key and his don't fill either. he's waiting for them to come and change it under warranty.

you could find a rad valve with a drain off valve and backfill system that way. but i would want to be reasonably sure that there is not a big leak somewhere first which caused the pressure to drop in the first place.
this is a great option but please do not do it unless you are experience plumber ,can end up with need of a new carpet

Have never tried to back fill a system, but would imagine it can be messy. I would use some hose clips! Lol!

Have never tried to back fill a system, but would imagine it can be messy. I would use some hose clips! Lol!

connect hose as you would for a drain down but with other end connected to outside tap, open drain valve and tap and water will flow into system from drain valve. helps if there is someone near boiler to yell when pressure is ok to other person who turns off tap

Ye, that's how I would do it, unless there was a drain cock on the cold pipework somewhere.

If you can hear the water going in then I would say that it probably is though. Is the boiler working?

Thanks for the reply,I think that i'm going to call in a pro.The boiler is working,the wife thinks it could blow

Nice one,i was going to call a plumber but only after i try and back fill.Thanks for the advice

if the pressure guage is blocked backfilling wont help, you could cause some serious damage, ive never done this before but you will need to have some one bleeding upstairs rads so you know when the system is full incase it is the gauge at fault. Feel free to correct me anyone who has done this before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks Enthalpy, Your conclusion is exactly...
Replies
Views
Could be the AAV inside the boiler leaking...
Replies
Views
J
What is the make of the boiler?
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You can, as suggested, top up at night/very...
Replies
Views
Back