Can someone recommend a new thermostat | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can someone recommend a new thermostat in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

I wonder if someone can recommend me a new thermostat. Something cheap that I can just order online? I have a new wells mclain ultra indirect hotwater tank and the thermostat has givin me problems from the beginning. It would pop up err and i would need to reset power for it to restart but now just sits in err. This is a pic of the connections if someone could recommend me one I could order to replace? so much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20230125_141839.jpg
    20230125_141839.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 33
Being in the UK I'm not too familiar with Canadian electrics, but am concerned your photo shows a cable with Canadian mains colours (green-earth, white-neutral, and red-can be live), connected to terminals labelled 24Volts - namely a low voltage supply. I trust that brown sleeved flex is not mains? Assuming it isn't, could the source of the 24V be part of the problem?

I fear a typical thermostat is not going to be suitable for this application, you may have to get the exact replacement part for the tank, but first check, or get an electrician to check, it is wired correctly!

Was the thermostat new with the new hot water tank or was it fitted to the old tank?

If it's showing err(or) the most likely problem is the temperature probe that's connected to the top right on that printed circuit board and goes down into the hot water tank.
It's either faulty or by the looks of it the wires aren't fully in the connector.

It's 24volt and there will be a transformer mounted nearby.

If it is faulty the simplest way is to replace it with exactly the same model thermostat.

There's a video of someone fitting one on the link below,

Was the thermostat new with the new hot water tank or was it fitted to the old tank?

If it's showing err(or) the most likely problem is the temperature probe that's connected to the top right on that printed circuit board and goes down into the hot water tank.
It's either faulty or by the looks of it the wires aren't fully in the connector.

It's 24volt and there will be a transformer mounted nearby.

If it is faulty the simplest way is to replace it with exactly the same model thermostat.

There's a video of someone fitting one on the link below,

Yeah it came with the tank for sure. I will check the probe wires to see. Thanks for the help

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Great cheers 👍🏻
Replies
Views
  • Question
I think you'll need to provide a bit more...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks Any thoughts on a shower system to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That might be the task of the other three butts
Replies
Views
Back