can this toilet be fixed? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss can this toilet be fixed? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ExArmy

My toilet is broken, once flushed the back bit fills up, but it doesn't stop filling up and goes out the overflow continuously.
for the last month it has been getting worse, it used to just keep running for 20-30 seconds, then stop, now it doesn't stop at all and i have had to knock the stop tap off
Heres a picture of it:

(EDIT, can't post pics yet!)

I have taken it apart, there's a rubber seal between the arm and the upright bit that has split and i'm guessing that is the cause of the problem.

is it possible to buy spares for this? roughly how much would it cost for someone to come and fix it?

Sounds like you just need a new inlet valve.

If your competent £10
If not - £30 - £75 depending where you are

Yes it can be fixed. The rubber bit sounds like the diaphragm, which are available in good plumbers merchants. Depending on age and wear, it may be better to replace the whole fill valve.

Cost to replace - depends on which part of the country you are!

It's not a difficult job. You've already found the isolator valve, so shut that off, flush the loo, then empty out as much water as you can from the cistern. Carefully undo the cold water pipe from the bottom of the cistern, then remove the backnut holding the fill valve on to the cistern. A little more water may run out through the hole- have a bucket ready.

Installation of the new fill valve is the reverse. Use a Fluidmaster Pro with brass shank to avoid cross-threading when you re-attach the cold water pipe. Make sure you adjust it correctly - the water level should be about 20mm below the overflow.

just replace the washer first. couple of squids from a diy shed.....

ok thanks for the replies. can i fit any "valve" to it? does it have to be an ideal standard one or can i fit one of these fluidmaster pro ones,
are they good quality?
seems quite straightforward, only one connection to do. if i had known it was this simple i would have got one ages ago!

Easiest of jobs if the water turns off. Just go with fluid ones exarmy, majority of plumbers recommend them because they are so reliable and have no/little problems with them

sorted, thanks for your help guys. got one from my local plumbers wholesalers, it was £12. not a fluidmaster pro , just the only one they had.
I can't beleive how simple it was, should have done it 2 months ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, could you post a picture of the whole WC...
Replies
Views
Plumber replaced the washer in the valve and...
Replies
Views
Long and boring video of the flush but may be...
Replies
Views
Alright then. Thank you Ben-gee for your...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Can you get in to split the existing fill...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back