can water come back up the cold feed c/h header | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss can water come back up the cold feed c/h header in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

I

iwol

hi can water actually enter the c/h header tank via the supply feed please and if so why thanks

is the cws tank filling from the ball valve at the same time the f/e tank fills.
(the cws tank shoul be higher than the f/e tank.)

whats the condition of the water in the f/e tank is their sludge in the bottom etc ?
are some of the rads cold at the bottom ?
is it slow to heat ?

Upvote 0
donnt think the cws tank is filling at the same time
the large cws tank is below the expansion tank(always has been)
water slightly rusty but no sludge just a light coating
rads seem ok
doesnt seem to take any longer to warm than usual
its very difficult because its a slow trickle rather than a gush

Upvote 0
is it a constant flow in to the tank?
does it only happen when the heating/hw on ?

check the vent pipe isn't drawing in air when system running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
cant tell about the flow into the expansion tank as it comes in near the bottom of the expansion tank and this is under water put my finger over the pipe but cant feel anything only the buzz from the pump,dont know if its only when the c/h is on will try that next,

Upvote 0
The normal expansion of the system will cause water to flow (expand) back up the feed pipe. My system at home doesn't have a vent, air vents back up the feed pipe, so it's the only route for any expansion flow. It's always been like this since the house was built and it's never caused any problems.

Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Hi. The supply pipe is normally used to describe the main supply into the cistern. i am taking it from your statement the you mean heating cold feed?
If this is the case, yes a proportion of water flows into the cistern when system is heated and back into the system on cooling. That is why the ball valve arm is bent to provide space between water level and overflow, so as the cister does not over flow when system is heated. As a rough formula 25 gallons of water if heated through 99 degrees C would produce a volume of 26 gallons of water. The mass remains the same. Good luck

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
There are float switches instead of mechanical...
Replies
Views
  • Question
What type of cylinder do you have?
Replies
Views
  • Question
I think 2.7LPM is the minimum requireed so...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'd be grateful for some advice please...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That's great - thank you
Replies
Views
Back