Can you beat this Boxt boiler quote? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can you beat this Boxt boiler quote? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just put together a quote for simple combi swap with plume kit, new controls, magnacleanse flush on Boxt. Then put the included bits together to see what that actually costs (I know they get their boilers much cheaper but regardless). This is WITHOUT pipes, fittings, fuel costs. Two man job to do magnacleanse and swap in a day came to £1680 just for the stuff (again no pipes or fittings added). Boxt quote £2290 which means £600 for the actual job.
1618225813028.png

BOXT Price
1618225990219.png

I suppose it depends how much we want to charge for a man-day's work? I understood most gas fitters were charging around £200 (bearing in mind I'm slightly out of date), so if you can supply the pipes and fittings for £200, it seems about right if you genuinely can get the job done in that time (no contingency though so I wonder how many Boxt jobs will be rushed at these prices?)

Plus a Magnacleanse flush doesn't fill me with confidence quite frankly.

But if you aren't making anything on the boiler itself, are you still the person who has to deal with aftercare service if it goes wrong, or does Boxt cover that?

I suppose it depends how much we want to charge for a man-day's work? I understood most gas fitters were charging around £200 (bearing in mind I'm slightly out of date), so if you can supply the pipes and fittings for £200, it seems about right if you genuinely can get the job done in that time (no contingency though so I wonder how many Boxt jobs will be rushed at these prices?)

Plus a Magnacleanse flush doesn't fill me with confidence quite frankly.

But if you aren't making anything on the boiler itself, are you still the person who has to deal with aftercare service if it goes wrong, or does Boxt cover that
Even the scroungiest companies pay well over £200 to their boiler men for a combi swap. I've not been in industry that long but from what I hear its been 1k labour for a combi swap when the times were allright and guys who worked on site were getting around £300 per boiler of which they would easily do 2 a day. Its a long days work you can't really do it every day (who will do the invoicing?) I've been pricing minimum £600 and almost never lost a quote but these guys are getting into the territory and its not like I can explain to the average punter that proper Magnacleanse needs one man for most of the day, ideally with system pre-treatment, aggitator which they absolutely not get for this money. Come to think of it Magnacleanse needs a pump so they cant even take the old boiler off in order to flush. Almost tempted to get this boiler installed to see how the hell they can promise all this for mere 600 quid.

(Worcester) Bosch have a significant stake in BOXT, just under 50% according to info filed at companies house.
BOXT will be bulk buying everything else they use or arranging good discounts at national suppliers like P. Center.

They may only be just covering their costs, but what they are also doing is building up a massive customer base for the future, much like B.G, so can then go on to promote and sell other more profitable goods and services.

(Worcester) Bosch have a significant stake in BOXT, just under 50% according to info filed at companies house.
BOXT will be bulk buying everything else they use or arranging good discounts at national suppliers like P. Center.

They may only be just covering their costs, but what they are also doing is building up a massive customer base for the future, much like B.G, so can then go on to promote and sell other more profitable goods and services.

wrong company you will find it’s robert Bosch

Around 1900-2200 depending on work and hot flush

I am materials plus £600 for a straight swap and magnacleanse. 2 Day job by the time you have done paperwork and sorted the rubbish etc.
Upgrading gas, condensate and smart controls adds extra cost

Even the scroungiest companies pay well over £200 to their boiler men for a combi swap. I've not been in industry that long but from what I hear its been 1k labour for a combi swap when the times were allright and guys who worked on site were getting around £300 per boiler of which they would easily do 2 a day. Its a long days work you can't really do it every day (who will do the invoicing?) I've been pricing minimum £600 and almost never lost a quote but these guys are getting into the territory and its not like I can explain to the average punter that proper Magnacleanse needs one man for most of the day, ideally with system pre-treatment, aggitator which they absolutely not get for this money. Come to think of it Magnacleanse needs a pump so they cant even take the old boiler off in order to flush. Almost tempted to get this boiler installed to see how the hell they can promise all this for mere 600 quid.
Hi Stanios,

If you were working all day every day on site at £200 a day, you'd be earning (assuming £35 a day work-related costs) £38,000 a year, possibly a bit less as an RGI will have higher overheads than a plumber. The invoicing will be done by Boxt, but I see your point: to match this price you'd have to pay both labour and all of Boxt's administration costs in order to get full days of work every day, which we both know often is not the case. Realistically, though, isn't that not much below an average wage for an RGI outside central London? I am, of course, assuming normal working hours and a 35 hour week as that Boxt boiler won't be a long day's work because it will be thrown in.

If Boxt are using self-employed installers, then they could just be pushing the labour cost down. £600 a day for the guys that put the boilers in on sites? Possibly - sites do seem to be less tight on prices than domestic work is and quality of some of our newbuilds would suggest domestic customers are likely to be fussier. But that seems a lot when you consider a basic shopworker may take home £60 a day, with a lot of the middle management types not taking much more, I'm sure Boxt will find people who will take less. To be honest, if I were gas qualified and were happy to join the race to the bottom, I'd take this sort of work on as I've worked out I'm not really capable of spending more than £14,000 a year in the UK unless I started donating huge sums to charity. But I didn't start doing plumbing to chuck in boilers and I disn't go self-employed to make money for Boxt.

Perhaps they are undercutting you, but if you're getting the jobs anyway it may be due to the quality of your work or your reputation rather than price? After all, it suits Boxt as the hard work is all being done by the installers, and they may well win in that they will get a large number of installations. All we can hope is that a market will remain for those installers who cost a little more and do a better job, although Boxt will probably always provide better value for the customer in a short-sighted kind of way.

They are probably also making a fortune on the cost of the components. You're quoting merchant prices presumably, but you'll see that customers can get things cheaper online and if they can, so can Boxt. It cuts out the middlemen. (Same thing in the news industry, something I know a bit about, seeing as my family has been selling newpapers since 1940. Talking Italian prices, a customer can get a postal subscription of a magazine with a 20-70% discount on the cover price including free delivery. As a newsagent, the discount is under 20%. How can the customers be given that price when a newsagent's wholesale price is so much higher? Probably they want to put independent newsagents out of business - and it's working!)

I didn't think Joe Public could get BOILERS cheaper than we can. I was thinking more of fittings, taps, etc. Bear in mind Boxt will be buying 100s at a time and will have more leverage than anyone buying one boiler.

Having said that, you've just 'saved' Stanios £243 on the boiler, because your ex-VAT price is £956.89! And Plumbnation is presumably making money in selling someone that. Plumbnation also has that system filter at £111 ex-VAT, whereas Stanios is paying £132 ex-VAT. So now Boxt has at least £864 to install with instead of £600.

Boxt will probably have a member of staff buying and negotiating prices all day long!

Similar plumbing topics

• Informative
Worcester normally have a section in the...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Can you give some more info? National company...
Replies
Views
G
Deeming it commercial as its under there...
Replies
Views
Back