Canada | Canada Plumbing Zone | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Canada in the Canada Plumbing Zone area at Plumbers Forums

KingDoey

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Evening folks,

Due to the current sh*t state of the UK at the mo am seriously considering moving to canada permanantly. I have wanted to do this for the last year or so and am serious about it.
I have qualified under the points scheme and have been looking at jobs out there- there seems to be quite a few.

My question is: I only have NVQ2.

Does anyone know if this is sufficient, or do i need to do more? I have heard all sorts of rumours that the British qualifications do not count over there and that you need to be of a certain level.

It seems to be a bit of a grey area and I can't find a lot of solid info on it. Does anyone on here have any experience or knowledge about what is needed, or has anyone worked out there?

Cheers ;)

Last edited:
I doubt level 2 would be sufficient. I would expect level 3 at least plus experience.

Much will depend on the demand for skilled tradesmen.

I qualified for the number of years experience on the points system....Just can't seem to find a lot about the actual qualification needed.

I will copy and paste a reply I had from a mate of mine. He trained in 2005 at the plumbing accademy (fast track) he then worked for a brit plumber for about a year. The brit plumber had a heart attack and so he buggered off to Canada. This was about 3/4 years back.

He loves it there. I'll pop onto Facebook to get the message he sent (I was asking him about it as we where curious ourselves and my wife has an aunt/uncle in canada) Oh by the way Canda property prices (in the nice areas) are expensive as is cost of living. We looked into it.

and I quote..........

Hey mate
Good to hear from ya.
You should defo come out mate. I would get a company to sort it out for you in the uk though, its easier that way. I would move to bc for sure. Vancouver area. I live in the mountains in a place called squamish and do most my work in whistler. It is the best place to live ever.
Skills wise I'm sure you will be fine.
with needing plumbers its the same as back home , unless you live in the middle of nowhere. the money is the same as back home and it is expensive to live here.
You will not believe how different the plumbing is out hear. I didn't even know how to put a toilet in out here when I came out. Its taken me a year to get to the level I was at in the uk.
We rent.
I'm still awaiting to hear if I am getting residency. Hopefully its looking good though. The relation may help but its a bit loose.
Let me know if you have any questions
Say hi to louis
Ali

and I quote..........

Hey mate
Good to hear from ya.
You should defo come out mate. I would get a company to sort it out for you in the uk though, its easier that way. I would move to bc for sure. Vancouver area. I live in the mountains in a place called squamish and do most my work in whistler. It is the best place to live ever.
Skills wise I'm sure you will be fine.
with needing plumbers its the same as back home , unless you live in the middle of nowhere. the money is the same as back home and it is expensive to live here.
You will not believe how different the plumbing is out hear. I didn't even know how to put a toilet in out here when I came out. Its taken me a year to get to the level I was at in the uk.
We rent.
I'm still awaiting to hear if I am getting residency. Hopefully its looking good though. The relation may help but its a bit loose.
Let me know if you have any questions
Say hi to louis
Ali

Much appreciated Danny,

Was looking at Sasketchewan myself, and as your mate said, I remember my college lecturer saying something about the systems being completly different to the UK.

As far as I can see I have already qualified for permanent residency status, So thats not an issue.

So I guess then NVQ2 would be enough, if your friend did the old fast track?

Last edited:
Part way through my permanent residency visa(my wife is canadian), looking at going to Edmonton, Alberta this year.

My mate had NVQ level 2 tech cert and possibly he'd had it signed off by the brit plumber but I don't know for certain. So it may have been just a level 2 tech cert or may have been a full NVQ level 2, certainly it was no more than that.

Dan

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Same here. There are times you just cannot...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The UK Government has today been told to do...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks Timmy. That does seem to be the...
Replies
Views
That’s there problem you pay them to fix it...
Replies
Views
The boiler is just responding by limiting the...
Replies
Views
Back