Capping off a soil pipe | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Capping off a soil pipe in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kc1

What's the best way to seal and cap this soil pipe before I concrete over it?

IMG_1815s.jpg

Inside diameter seems to be just over 100mm. It's seems to be ceramic.

Regards,

Kevin

It should be same internal size as new plastic soil pipes. You could use a standard 4" internal cap. It will have a ribbed rubber outer seal. Best get as heavy duty one as possible, but any will do.

Ram a cement bag or similar 4" down the pipe as a stopper and then plug it with concrete.

How far away from a manhole is it?
It should be plugged as close as possible to the junction to avoid a nice dry home for rats.

Probably about 4-5m from the manhole. I'm assuming that other things in the house use the same feed into the manhole - but I would need to check to be sure. There is a WC close to the soil pipe in the photo, so I assume these connect together somewhere.

Be aware, with old clay pipes joints are solid, sand/cement, and pipes are relatively fragile. Not unusual when breaking into pipe, for adjacent pipes to fracture. Unless there is space and inclination to excavate and relay broken pipes keep disturbance to minimum.

Cut a piece of slate to sit nicely in the collar and mix grit sand and cement 4:1, fill and level it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

B
I wouldn't bother even trying. Water jetters...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Thanks Shaun and Last Plumber. I checked the...
Replies
Views
I got a Floplast boss strap from Screwfix...
Replies
Views
D
oops I didn’t read it properly.
Replies
Views
Back