cast iron soil pipe | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss cast iron soil pipe in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leslie50

Need to cut back a cast iron soil pipe about 8 inchs, the pipe goes straight out the wall, was thinking of using a angle grinder with a metal blade, any other ideas .
Les

Grinder is the baby,tried using a junior hacksaw once ,not much good,just make sure the piece you are cutting off is well supported or all is clear below and wear goggles !!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
if you not limited to space then a normal hacksaw and good blade will cut it easy, couple of mins and bobs your uncle.

if you not limited to space then a normal hacksaw and good blade will cut it easy, couple of mins and bobs your uncle.

That reminds me, I'll have to treat my hacksaw to a new blade, I've got more teeth!

surely there is a fire risk if there is a wooden floor where sparks can go through, use a hacksaw with new blade and a 2lb hammer (dont know the metric as it will always be a 2lb hammer to me) cut the pipe till the full height of the blade is just through the pipe, then smack it with the hammer and off it will come, just mind your toes

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting to read people suggesting a hack saw for the task. Having fitted a lot of LCC cast in the sixties/early seventies. I think i would still be on the same job with the hack saw blades available to me.

for wood to set a light you'd have to contain the sparks in 1 spot for about an hr.. ive used grinders a lot restoring xr2 205gti ect..

obviously if you have a gas pipe open you may have problems :D you could try containing the sparks though

Interesting to read people suggesting a hack saw for the task. Having fitted a lot of LCC cast in the sixties/early seventies. I think i would still be on the same job with the hack saw blades available to me.

seriously you can cut a CI pipe quicker than you can change the blade in the saw if the wing nut is seized, you only cut through the pipe until the depth of the blade is through making a cut approx 40-50mm wide, then dunt the pipe with a heavy hammer, dont be shy skelping it and off it comes in one, the risk/danger is not hitting it hard enough to snap it, once shown i would rather cut it that way that carry chain cutters from the van up the stairs to do it

I used to use a chain cutter. Mega expensive and difficult to justify unless you do alot of cast work, but very effective.

I'd use the grinder, score it as much as possible, but make sure yiou have cut into the pipe, then put a bolster in it and give it a whack, I have dont this lots of times on big cast (24 inch, fire mains), it splits around the score line, nice clean break (just giving it a whack with a lump hammer can having it split all over the place)

Mind you the 24 inch cast is about a 1/4 inch thick, still be there with a hack saw

I'd use the grinder, score it as much as possible, but make sure yiou have cut into the pipe, then put a bolster in it and give it a whack, I have dont this lots of times on big cast (24 inch, fire mains), it splits around the score line, nice clean break (just giving it a whack with a lump hammer can having it split all over the place)

Mind you the 24 inch cast is about a 1/4 inch thick, still be there with a hack saw

tut young boys today, soil CI is 3/16" thick, wait till tamz reads this he will be slagging you all as well

Use a snap cutter/chain cutter and you won't get any sparks. They can be hired from tool hire places, just google it for a supplier in your area.

What Kirk is saying here is right enough. You can cut cast with a hacksaw quicker than you could find a socket to plug a grinder in. Nobody had grinders when we were doing this stuff.

Just saw it until you get fed up sawing then skelp it with the mash hammer. It will break clean enough.
I was always a 4lb man myself:)

You can't do this if you are cutting into a pipe. You will need a chain cutter or a grinder or a lot of patience and big arms

Use the grinder, wear a loetard, choreograph a small dance routine to the backdrop of the flying sparks, hey presto your very own 1980s "Flash Dance" reproduction but at a fraction of the cost!.
Then post the video on here.

What Kirk is saying here is right enough. You can cut cast with a hacksaw quicker than you could find a socket to plug a grinder in. Nobody had grinders when we were doing this stuff.

Just saw it until you get fed up sawing then skelp it with the mash hammer. It will break clean enough.
I was always a 4lb man myself:)

You can't do this if you are cutting into a pipe. You will need a chain cutter or a grinder or a lot of patience and big arms

i knew you would back me up old man haha, 4lb hammer!!!!!!!! big tough boy you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Turn your phone 45 degrees!!! The picture is...
Replies
Views
I got a Floplast boss strap from Screwfix...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Use ss 304 forged fittings...(connector)
Replies
Views
B
I wouldn't bother even trying. Water jetters...
Replies
Views
Back