Cast iron soil pipe | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cast iron soil pipe in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

herbert

Was asked by one of my customers to sort this rather stinky problem of a leaking inspection plate.i haven't come across this before, How would ya go about sorting this. The nuts look like they are never gonna shift.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 46
have you tried to loosen the nuts yet?
is it leaking on the seal or is the plate corroded through?
is the pipe boxed in behind something? would it be possible to change to plastic?

It looks like someone beat you to it (albeit few years ago), the bolts should be brass so would not rust, looks like you will need to cut / drill em out.
The proper rubber for the gasket is very expensive & only sold off the roll in 1M lengths or at least it use to be, I forget it has been a few years since I did this. ("insertion rubber", I think it is called)

Last edited:
The pipe is in a hollow wal with next to no room around it. I have given the nuts a little tweek with stilsons but didn't want to put too much pressure on because I didn't know what I am in for. I can't see under it as its right down sat on the clay main inlet. All I can see is it seeps under the plate

Cut nuts with angle grinder, then make gasket with CAF sheet (available from Bss I think) using access door as template. Then brass nuts, bolts and washer to suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
That's my next job - lift the nearby lid up...
Replies
Views
D
Very hard to determine what you can and can't...
Replies
Views
A
It’s mainly because of the boss eg pipe into...
Replies
Views
Use ss 304 forged fittings...(connector)
Replies
Views
Back