Central heating advice - urgent please | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating advice - urgent please in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Swampygirl

I'M IN PRIVATE RENTED ACCOMMODATION AND THE CENTRAL HEATING IS CRAP. WE CAN'T USE THE CENTRAL HEATING BECAUSE IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY AS IT'S NOT EMITTING ANY HEAT.
EITHER THE TOP HALF OR BOTTOM HALF, I CAN'T REMEMBER, STAYS COLD, THE OTHER HALF IS BARELY LUKE WARM. HAVE BLED THE RADIATORS AND IT HASN'T MADE ANY DIFFERENCE. THE WATER IN THE RADIATORS IS BROWN/BLACK.
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE LIFE SPAN OF A CENTRAL HEATING SYSTEM?
THE BOILER IS A BAXI SOLO (POWERED FLUE)
I KNOW MY LANDLORD WON'T PUT IN A NEW SYSTEM UNLESS ABSOLUTELY FORCED TO. HE WOULD RATHER TRY TO RECIFY THE PROBLEM IN THE QUICKEST AND WITH THE MINIMUM OF OUTLAY. SO DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I STAND AS A TENANT?
ME AND MY HUBBY ARE VERY COLD AS WE DO NOT HAVE ANY OTHER FORM OF HEATING.
icon_e_sad.gif

I'D BE VERY GRATEFUL IF ANYONE COULD ADVISE. THANK YOU!!!

Please don't shout at us Swampy! It sounds like your pump's had it bu we do need a tad more info.

And that would be the responsibility of my landlord, right?

have the rads trv's?
if so take of the heads and give them a whack

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the Landlord to provide a means of heating, if he cant get it fixed he is legally obliged to provide alternative accommodation. This normally gets their arse in gear to sort it out!

SO DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I STAND AS A TENANT?

Probably as close to the radiator as you can get!

It is a circulation problem. Get on to the landlord and tell him it is not working. If he is anything like most landlords he won't spend the money unless he really has to.
Best maybe buy a hot water bottle and look for somewhere else.

As a landlord he has a duty to ensure your gas installation is safety checked within 12 month periods and a record is produced detailing the condition of such. He also has a duty to provide you with adequte means of hot water. My advice is, move as soon as possible to a good landlord property and report existing landlord to trading standards. Good landlords look after their properties and tenants.

Had my boiler serviced in June 09. Was due again June 10 but we're now in December and he hasn't arranged another service. It's not my place to chase him up. He has a copy of the last service same as I have. I have hot water via emersion heater but cost a lot so have to be so careful. Am looking to move but properties are are either not very forthcoming or too expensive. My landlord has 2 properties and he's a novice landlord. He has no idea what his responsibilities are. I've had to pull him up several times about things. I haven't seen or had word from him in 13 months. As soon as I can find another property I'm off. he didn't even put our deposit in the deposit holding. I warned him I could take him to court over it. He offered my deposit back as long as I signed to say I'd received it. I'm not that stupid. Needless to say I didn't. He know's I got him over a barrel on that one.

Report him to your local Health & safety executive office. He has a duty to have your gas installation checked for safety and a record produced by a Gas Safe Registered business every 12 months. If he has not he could be proscuted. HSE are very keen on these issues.

do you have temprature controllers on each rad, if so under the big plastic head is a chrome ring.
unscrew this and take of the head to reveal a brass pin.

No. There are no individual temp controllers on each radiator.

are the two valves turned on, try turning 1 turn see if it improves and tap sides of valve to dislodge any scum.
if not, like said the systems full of sludge/rust.

Yes I've checked the valves both ok on each radiator.
I think the system is old.
Do you know what the average life span of a central heating system is?

check with CitezansAdvice. but I think you are within your rights to withhold rent if you have no heating.

Sadly I can't withhold the rent as it's paid direct by my local housing authority. And CAB are so difficult to get hold of. I will try though. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Do pipes come out of the floor on ground floor...
Replies
Views
P
Mr Speaker: I'm tempted to draught a sarcastic...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
If the pump is under the laminate and it’s...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back