Central heating and boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating and boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pea

I posted a question here about my radiators downstairs not heating up and would like to thank all who replied. See http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/39854-new-boiler-problems.html

I have had a second engineer come in to have a look at the system and he got them working within an hour (after he found what was wrong). He has given me a report about why they weren’t heating up and I would like your comments as to whether I should seek financial redress from the original engineer and what you think of his work (I paid him £3k for the job which he failed to finish and he wants to charge me more – he is Gas Safe Registered – should I contact them about his work?).

The old boiler was a Baxi (gravity hot water system) the new boiler is a Vaillant combi boiler, the report states the old boiler (which I was told by the original engineer had been decommissioned) was still connected to the new system. This meant that that the new boiler was running around two loops, the first was the old loop to what would have been the cylinder and the second loop around the ch system. This meant that the boiler would shut down before the rads got up to temperature and restricted the flow around the heating system meaning the downstairs rads would not heat up as they should. Also the gas to the back boiler had not been capped off.
He fixed it and confirmed that flushing the system for a second time and changing the pipework would not have solved the problem – the original ch engineer was charging us for a second flush and wanted to change the pipework as he said this was the only way to get the downstairs rads working. He wanted to charge us another £500.00 for the second flush and replacing the pipework…..

I know it’s a long post but I would be really grateful if you could let me have your thoughts, thank you.

i dont know where you would complain or send a report.. however this is very bad practice. someone needs to know.

It's not bad practice, it's terrible practice! Go to your cab armed with your paperwork, invoices, quotes etc and this report and see what they can advise.

My Mrs who just had a squint said - trading standards

Father Xmas

Thanks for your replies so far, I know nothing about central heating so I don't know if the work he did was just plain wrong even to the point of being dangerous. The gas not being capped off did give me cause for concern but I have to admit but that I am not sure if this meant it was just another little problem or whether it was actually dangerous.

The gas not capped off to the back boiler is a very serious breach in my opinion. It should have been decommissioned properly. I would contact Gas Safe with your concerns as well as trading standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Ok great...really hoping it wasn't a leak.
Replies
Views
Back