Central Heating and Hot Water Control problem | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central Heating and Hot Water Control problem in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHPES

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have the following scenario -

The customer has a newish oil boiler. Instead of s-plan or y-plan, the DHW and the CH are on independent circuits, each with its own pump. The only means of control currently is a timeclock. The boiler kicks in should either the DHW timeclock or CH timeclock ask for heat.

I want to improve the controls. Before anyone says "convert it to an S plan with a single pump", this would mean extensive modification to the room which the customer doesn't want.

Is there a suitable means to include a zone valve in each circuit to prevent water flowing past the pump when not wanted, plus a thermostat to control the boiler & pump for each circuit? My electrician says the only way is to convert to an S plan with single pump but I have seen other similar systems in the past to what I am referring to above, all of which work fine.

Yes it is very simple Buy a single socket patress box a connecting strip 4 way and a zone valve for each circuit. Mount it beside the pump. Take three core out of pump place them in connectors 1 live 2 neutral 3 earth

Into 1 put the grey from the zone valve and also the brown from the zone valve. In two put the blue from the zone valve and take out the neutral for the pump from here. Take the earth from 3 to the zone valve and aslo to the pump. In four you place the orange from the zone valve and from here send the live to the pump.

So what happens is the clock calls for heat sends live down the original pumpo feed this energises the syncron motor which opens the valve on opening it throws a switch puting orange leed in touch with grey leed which is fed from the same original pump live so now the pump is energised.

Intercede between clock and zone valve with a stat for best practice.

Nothing else has changed you now have the same as before but zone valve which shut off leaching.

What you cannot do is feed the boiler from the zone valve in this configuration.

If you want to do that then this is how you do it.

Connect pump live to 1 aswell and connect boiler to orange. What happens now is the pump starts as the zone valve beginns to open but the boiler fires when it is fully open, and the zones operate the boiler independently.

Last edited by a moderator:
or install a larger bore non return valve on top of the pump. ie if pipework is 22 fit a 28mm nrv with reducers, and so on.
i imagine you allready have a bypass on the header circuit if there is no call for heat on either zone, if not you will need to install one as the NRV's will stop auto convection as well, tripping the high heat stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Its a Combi. Its a Worcester Bosch Greenstar...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
L
Replies
Views
Working from home and of course they can’t...
Replies
Views
Back