Central heating blockage/flow problem | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating blockage/flow problem in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bearmac64

Hi to you all, I am new to the forum.
I have a baffling ch and hw problem which my plumber is unable to solve.
I have lived in my house for 12 years and the ch and hw water always worked reasonably well. The performance had begun to deteriorate over the last 2 years or so last summer I decided to flush the system. It is a simple open vented system with a single feed from and return to a Concord WRS boiler which is 30+ years old. When I drained down the water that came out was surprisingly clean. I drained until the system seemed empty then tried to refill. I then discovered that the cold feed was blocked under the the bathroom floor upstairs so I disconnected it and found a lot of black sludge where it teed into the boiler return. After cleaning it the system then filled up and the heating began to come back on with radiators warming up. Then the system went cold and the hot water would not work. I suspected a blockage remained around the cold feed and the boiler feed/return. I got the plumber to come and power flush which he has now done 3 times. Some sludge came out but since then the system will not work properly. Generally the rads upstairs will warm up, the downstairs remain cold. The hot water will not work, the feed into the tank warms up but the return pipe stays cold. The return pipe to the boiler is usually cold or just luke warm but the boiler feed pipe is red hot. The plumber has replaced the pump and the hot water tank (because it was leaking). The system often boils over when it comes on in the morning with hot steaming water venting into the small tank in the loft. I still suspect a blockage. Anyone have any ideas please? Thanks Iain

Sounds like a pretty old system with an old concord boiler! Are there any motorised valves on the system?

If its been flushed and the cold feed blockage cleared with the system now filling up okay then it could just be a stubborn air lock or a blockage in the system somewhere..?

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes there are two motorised valves. The hot water feed from the pump has a tee off to the hot water tank. There is one valve on the teed off pipe next to the tank. The other is just above the tee for the heating. They both seem to work ok. I suspect a blockage too.

There are 2 motorised 2 port valves, one for heating and one for water. both are working as far as I can tell.

Surely the plumber will sort the issues out if he has done 3 powerflushes... A powerflush cannot really be used to clear a blockage, it relies on a flow of water through the pipe etc for the cleaner to take effect.

Once you have ruled out air locks or circulation then its time to start cutting the pipework apart to trace blockage...

If there is no flow round cylinder or any rads then suggest blockage in main primary pipework from boiler to airing cupboard?

Try to get water circulating around coil first, its all 22mm pipework probably and should be no restriction...

Thanks gassafe. I agree with you, my plumber has been investigating the flow and return under the floor downstairs but I think the water is just not getting around the boiler loop which is therefore causing a back pressure in the system. In fact he disconnected a couple of rads and then the pipes at the opposite end of the remaining ones downstairs got warm suggesting to me a flow in the wrong direction. Everything comes together near the cold feed upstairs under the bathroom floor and near there the cold circuit joins in and remains cold. The tank and airing cupboard is downstairs right near the pump so all the return water has to go upstairs. I will try what you suggest.

Is it pumping over all the time the pump is running? ie water running out the open vent pipe in F and E tank. If the open vent and cold feed are piped correctly before the pump, and it is pumping over then there will be a restriction/ blockage between the open vent and the pump. I know you said it had been flushed 3 times but if it was blocked solid you would know when you were doing the flush, ie no Flow through machine.

Have you tried putting the motorised valves into manual position ?
Also check that all valves are open, its possible some were left off after flushing.
As above, if it was flushed correctly then any blockage would have been noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Thanks for the information mate, ill look into...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Back