Central Heating Bolier question | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central Heating Bolier question in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

swills

HI everyone, new here, not in the trade, but an exasperated homeowner! :)

We live in house that is attached to the neighbour by the garage, in the garage they have the CH boiler, it's a Thermacon, been there sinec the house was built in1998, and still works OK, wechanged ours to a more modern one last year.
But our bedroom is just above their garage, sort of attached to the garage roof area I suppose, during the day we have no problems, but at night in bed we hear the boiler noise coming through the wall, on/ off, on/off, this keeps us awake sometimes 0100 in the morning, not much good when I am early turn and get up at 0430! The bolier seems to run for 2 mins, off for 2 or 3, on again for 2 mins, off agin, 2 maybe 3, then on ad infinitum! sometimes it was go quiet for about 15 to 20 mins, and we think 'great' , then whoosh off it goes again 2 on 2 off, next door say the boiler is fine and ha been serviced, but it does not seem right t us on and off so quickly.

Thought about soundproofing the wall, but one comapny want at least £2,500 !

does anyone have any ideas?

Please !

HI everyone, new here, not in the trade, but an exasperated homeowner! :)

We live in house that is attached to the neighbour by the garage, in the garage they have the CH boiler, it's a Thermacon, been there sinec the house was built in1998, and still works OK, wechanged ours to a more modern one last year.
But our bedroom is just above their garage, sort of attached to the garage roof area I suppose, during the day we have no problems, but at night in bed we hear the boiler noise coming through the wall, on/ off, on/off, this keeps us awake sometimes 0100 in the morning, not much good when I am early turn and get up at 0430! The bolier seems to run for 2 mins, off for 2 or 3, on again for 2 mins, off agin, 2 maybe 3, then on ad infinitum! sometimes it was go quiet for about 15 to 20 mins, and we think 'great' , then whoosh off it goes again 2 on 2 off, next door say the boiler is fine and ha been serviced, but it does not seem right t us on and off so quickly.

Thought about soundproofing the wall, but one comapny want at least £2,500 !

does anyone have any ideas?

Please !

is it the neighbours boielr that keep syou awake?

it is cycling for some reason, maybe their stat clicking it on and off although it shoulkdnt happen so quickly, cud be boiler stat, cud be any number of things, has it only just started, is it the new boiler or old one, does it have fernox in, that queitns the system, give us more clues and well try to help

Yes it has only been noticed this winter, I did speak to him, saying that he must be using a lot of oil, as it keeps cutting in and out every couple of minutes, but he said 'No" and that they only use a two tanks of oil per year, and it was very cost effective, and recently serviced! He then said that it fires up overnight, 'to keep the pipes free' in the cold winter, one assumes he means to stop freezing, but if it's in a garage... what is there to freeze!

It obvioulsy does not bother them, as they cannot hear it as much, if at all in their bedroom, which is over the other side of their house!

The last thing we want to do is fall out with them, as that could end up 10 times worse!

The people who were there before had the garage full of stuff, which I think may have deadened the sound, the garage is now 'empty' as he keeps his car in there, which just about fits, so no room for the usual 'junk' !

Last edited by a moderator:
Does sound to me that the next door neighbour has got his indoors stat on frost mode and that could be faulty (that's only a good educational guess with out testing the electrics)

Cold be just a loose wire, many of one things that could be causing this but it certainly does not sound normal!

Thanks "Essex" didn't know there was a 'frost' mode on thermostat, I assume it's the same as ours which is just a knob with the temp on it, on the Thermacon, it just has a similar dial for temp on the front.

yep, not all systems have a inhouse thermostat but if he does then it could be that. The frost mode is a little * just after off and then just before number.

You may wont to offer for replace your self. Around £20 and is as easy as wiring a plug. TURN THE ELECTRIC FIRST!

i reckon they have a frost stat but no pipe stat in line, that will cauze it to come on and off. they only need fit an in line pipe stat at 25degrees.

he needs it on in winter to stop the water in the pipes freezing, if it doesnt click in the water will freeze. by having it click on when the temp drops it will kick in long enough not to freeze, its not to warm the garage but to protect the pipes, ie a safety feature.
if they check the temps and what stats are there we can help, also fernox will make it queiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Yes I’d do that too, just shut the radiator...
Replies
Views
D
Sounds like you need somebody competent to...
Replies
Views
Back