Central heating choice on New build | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating choice on New build in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

malraff

hi all

I am currently building a new house (bungalow), and until now we where always going to have part of the house with underfloor heating and the rest of the rooms with radiators. Until the Contractor asked us, why do we want radiators at all! (the contractor is a good reputable guy, so I have no reason to doubt his expertise) and I don't really have a reason other than listening to various scare monger stories such as under ground heating will never heat your house, you will use more oil, john doe ended up having to dig up his floor to put radiators in etc etc yet research/theory of underfloor suggests the opposite ?

I guess I am just a little nervous about having no alternative if the underfloor proves in efficient, the house is being very well insulated, but does have a lot of large floor to roof level windows (so the space savings of no radiators would be brilliant as well) so is there anything really for me to fear?

and is there any tips you would give me for underfloor heating that would help make it suitable down the line for alternative heat sources? such as ground source ? (eg I have been told make the underfloor pipes layout a lot tighter?

if we do go for 100% underfloor heating, we will have 100% of the room floors tiled to maximise heat through put

apologies for what I presume is a pretty ignorant question! but any advice appreciated

thanks

mal

If the UFH is designed and installed properly, you will have no issues.

The only problem you will have is when the weather changes suddenly and the UFH is not responsive enough.

If you have large windows, you may want to run perimeter circuits at closer pipe spacing, and even at a higher water temperature, to accommodate the heatloss.

As said, get someone who knows what they are doing and you will have very minimal problems if any

Full underfloor anytime.

I'd go for a well designed and possibly slightly over specced underfloor pipe layout as above extra cover for the windows.

Underfloor beats rads for overall comfort as it's a more even temperature.

The only issue is nowhere to dry washing (and create condensation).
Towel radiator in the Bathroom and maybe the Kitchen.

thanks folks for advice, will definitely look into over specing it. iv been searching for a benefit of radiators over under ground and all I can find is what you say snowhead - is nowhere to dry washing (and create condensation).

Full underfloor heating and an air source heat pump; simples :) Well designed an ASHP is cheaper than gas to run, cheaper than oil to install, and if the house is for you to live in (self/custom build) the government will give you up to £9k towards the installation costs.

p.s. it should be designed from day 1 for either a ground or air source heat pump, refer to the CIBSE guide for ufh design and the MCS heat emitter guide. Also make sure it's installed as a snail layout bot serpentine, it's far more efficient and gives less cold spots, and for a good ufh installer takes no longer at all.

As an aside I'd never let a builder design or install a heating system.- it's guaranteed to give problems.

Last edited:
Full underfloor heating and an air source heat pump; simples :) Well designed an ASHP is cheaper than gas to run, cheaper than oil to install, and if the house is for you to live in (self/custom build) the government will give you up to £9k towards the installation costs.

How you work out a air source heat pump is cheaper to install than oil

No tank etc , and if using a monobloc ashp from the likes of Samsung...simples, we've been cheaper on two closed bids twice recently..

ASHP may not be the cheapest to install but if your building from scratch especially with full underfloor it will the most efficient system to run compared any gas or oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

R
I need advice on flushing out my central...
Replies
Views
Robin Overall
R
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Back