Central Heating Comes on with Hot Water, Help | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central Heating Comes on with Hot Water, Help in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MichaelwGroves

I have got a 'Y' plan system that has been added to over the years. Unfortunatly by me, so I am to blame for this mess. Started off with old boiler, then big extension required more radiators, bigger boiler and bigger pump.
I'm not sure when it started to go wrong, it was subtle but is getting worse.
At first just the bathroom tail rail would get hot when hot water on. I initially thougt I had connected up wrong as I could not get to pipe work to be 100% sure where to connect upto, but it was not a big problem. Then during the extension I was able to remove part of the ceiling to expose my error, plumbed into correct place as I thought but still got problem. I thought it must still be connected wronmg, but still could not get to all pipework so left it until later in the build. Added some more radiators which got very slightly warm when hot water on. Anyway, I was sure they were plumbed in okay so thought it was 3 way vale was faulty, eplaced this, but still got problem.
Then bolier started getting over heat errors, engineer replaced sensors but I still got errors. He advised pump was not powerful enough, so I spent £600 on big Grunfos pump. This made it worse, so had to turn down to setting 2 to get it to not trip boiler. Engineer then advised mast be short in plumbing, but could not see where without lifting floors etc.
Okay, so now I'm at the stage where I can expose nearly all pipes and I can see how water is flowing along the return, through the bathroom towel rail, out of the flow, through next radiator, then returns to the boiler.
So I turn off towel rail to prove my theory but other radiators still get warm.

So I'm throwing the towel in to the experts, I just can't see the wood for the tree's. I've attached a diagram with a few lables to aid conversation. Anything to the right of the wall is difficult to connect upto today, anthing to the left is very easy to change. I would really appreciate any comments.

scan0001.jpg

Thanks
Michael

It is your return from the cylinder 5 should be before 1 as this is causing secondary circulation. Re-routing will solve this.

you must have two returns pipes on towel rail make sure the feeds to towel rail are from a flow and a return

pipe connection 5 to return pipe below connection 4 shud solve

Yes anywhere on the return as long as it is before 1. Just depends on the access as it is strange that this was not done initially. Hopefully the op has good access.

Thanks for your thoughts guys,

why does the return go into the top of the coil?
Surly it's coming "from" the top of the coil as the start of the return?

Just to confirm the draweing is accurate, the towel rail is connected to both flow and return.

Moving '5' before '1' will be a problem, but if this is the soloution it can be done, but I can't see how this will fix it, please explain.

Thanks
Michael

Just to confirm, any plumbing to the left of the wall is easy, anything to the right is difficult.

I don't think so, I previously had this problem so replaced the valve but nothing changed.

it sounds like ur valve is knackered to me allowing the hot water to flow through both CH and HW...that would be my first point of investigation rergardless of how new it is

I'll be annoyed if it is, because that's what is was supposed to fix. I'll do a touch test this weekend and see for sure, but I am doubtful. I think I have just plumbed wrong.

Moving point 5 has been mentioned twice, the more I look of it I think this is the problem, but I think the fix is to move to point 2?

When you select hot water the flow goes through the coil then back to the boiler. Because you have a tapping after this there will be secondary circulation - the secondary circulation will make flow and returns reverse. To test this you could fit a valve on 5 before it gets to the return on the boiler ( your new rads will not work at all then but the solution will be clearer ) . By re-routing 5 anywhere on the return side before 1 the return from the boiler will have a direct route when hot water is selected and secondary circulation will go. The in cylinder coil flow is wrong , this may be just the drawing , but that will not affect the solution just the efficiency.

I'll be annoyed if it is, because that's what is was supposed to fix. I'll do a touch test this weekend and see for sure, but I am doubtful. I think I have just plumbed wrong.

Moving point 5 has been mentioned twice, the more I look of it I think this is the problem, but I think the fix is to move to point 2?

2 would work as would any point before this. It depends how easy it is to access.

Even if you fitted a brand new valve you would still have the problem.

Brilliant, that makes perfect sense now. '5' is definantly in the wrong place. I'll move somewhere around point 2 this weekend and let you know how it goes.

I'll also confirm cylinder flow when I get home, so flow should go in the top and out bottom, is that what you are saying?

Co's I would have thought the other way around, my thought is hottess water should enter bottom first?

Brilliant, that makes perfect sense now. '5' is definantly in the wrong place. I'll move somewhere around point 2 this weekend and let you know how it goes.

I'll also confirm cylinder flow when I get home, so flow should go in the top and out bottom, is that what you are saying?

Co's I would have thought the other way around, my thought is hottess water should enter bottom first?

Top entry is usual and most efficient.

Just done a quick google, this was the first post I found, so not conclusive, but they say;

"On fully pumped systems it doesn't matter"

Would you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17...
Replies
Views
L
Replies
Views
Back