Central heating design? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating design? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all.

I currently work for a very small firm and don't really have a great understanding of putting together a heating/hot water system for domestic properties. As my boss is venturing in to the commercial side i don't think I'll have the opportunity to learn to much of this.
My goal is once I've done my ACS I will be going on a few Worcester courses to develop my skill set.

Can anyone offer any advice on how you decide on putting together a system? Do you ask stick with boilers you know? Is it a certain kW boiler for a specific amount of rads and bathrooms?

Any advice would be appreciated?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 47
there is a hell of a lot more to designing systems than which boiler to use!!. As Ermi says them books are good for starters as long as you know why and how to do heatloss calcs, pipe sizing, pump sizing, hot water requirement calcs, plate exchanger sizing, buffers, tanks, the list goes on.........

but in a typical house........ guess it:rolleyes2:

Last edited:
Is this one worth the money then. I have the treloar book and the heating design guide. Would I be able to learn from this to build on the knowledge of the other two
You used to get this book as part of the corgi course! ( showing my age!)
not sure if it's any better/worse as I've never read the others.

do remember reading the old readers digest DIY book at my granddads. house back in the 70's that showed heating systems and plumbing, but will be well out of date now!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I have never had to design a heating system, I have seen people measure an area where a radiator will be fitted and get a radiator to fit that area.

Yer that's pretty much what we do but I'd like a much better understanding of the heating side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Basher, Thank you for the reply. So the...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Were in a similar-ish situation in that our...
Replies
Views
S
Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I got...
Replies
Views
Sam Wain
S
Back