central heating home cover.. | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss central heating home cover.. in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have allways had home insurance for my boiler and central heating, first it was with british gas but after being let down by them we switched to e-on who were even worse. I don't like the thought of not having any cover for my heating system however I find these big companys are a complete let down and a waste of money.....

are there any companys out there that cover your heating system that aren't a complete waste of money, or would it be better to use a local trader...

A good local gas safe engineer is best. I can understand the peace of mind an insurance cover can bring, but most people pay a few hundred a year with no reason to call them out. After a few years without a call out you may even have saved enough to cover the cost of a new boiler. And there's always the option of a fixed price repair from a manufacture.

This is is one of the reasons extended warranties are so popular now, some manufacturers give 10 years, which can save you loads of money compared to taking out insurance.

Save up and just have some money in bank. All schemes are a con. A new boiler comes with upto 10 years manufacturer warranty. A new boiler generally will cost you half of what u pay in insurance over 10 years! Plus it will be more efficient.

Set up a standing order into a savings account for the same amount you were wasting on BG cover. Call it the rainy day fund and it's there to cover all eventualities.

all care plans are savings without interest, not that theres much interest around at tthemoment

all care plans are savings without interest, not that theres much interest around at tthemoment

Spot on Steve. It certainly shouldn't be thought about like insurance.

By definition, any insurer has to take in more in premiums than they pay out in claims, and is therefore an inherently poor bet for the insured. Insurance only makes sense if it is mandatory (like car insurance) or if the consequences of the event against which one is insuring is both catastrophic and cannot be met by other forms of planning. For example, most of us couldn't possibly afford to save enough money to cover our house burning down, so fire insurance makes sense.

However, boiler breakdown is entirely predictable, (and therefore subject to normal planning) and although inconvenient, could not be described as catastrophic in the same way as a car crash or a house fire. Therefore it makes much more sense to do what TBServices suggests, and just put it into a savings account. Although you won't get much interest the odds are in your favour. And it may be that the unfortunate occurence that befalls you as a property owner is not a broken boiler, but a leaky roof. Having the cash on hand gives you much more flexibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

This was indeed the case, picked up a new zone...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Were in a similar-ish situation in that our...
Replies
Views
S
Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I got...
Replies
Views
Sam Wain
S
Back